enjay Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 Whats illegal about that? What's illegal about distributing pornographic images? Hmm, now let me think....
FarhatAziz Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 I think you should call the parents in. Oh - and can you send me a copy
enjay Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 if they're asked for...not a lot? So, people hosting web sites with this material on are committing no crime either, since people are choosing to browse to the site and asking to see what is on it, right? Of course not - distribution is distribution, and is illegal, regardless of the motivation behind it. I saw something once on a Police web site somewhere which specifically said not to forward them illegal material in emails - unfortunately, I can't find it just now...
Domino Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 what makes you think pornography is illegal? maybe your local newspaper shop has an illegal top shelf then....?
Guest Guest Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 what makes you think pornography is illegal? maybe your local newspaper shop has an illegal top shelf then....? lmao Ive got a folder cunningly called "Print" which would probably see me serve several life sentences if it were illegal! *Shh*
AngryTechnician Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 I hope you mean that you send the issue to House Office, not the material - that would be illegal... I think you may be a little confused. The only pornography that is illegal in the UK is child pornography, and 'extreme' pornography, as defined by section 63 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008. This is not the sort of material we are talking about. 'Hardcore' pornography (depicting explicit sexual activity) and any lesser degree of image, is not illegal to possess or distribute in the UK. That's what we are talking about here. It is certainly against the rules of any school not run by crazy people, but it is not illegal. Clearly if I were to find material that fell into the illegal category, I would immediately consult with SMT and insist that the police were contacted, and would not forward it to anyone, nor make any copies. The only thing I would do is immediately suspend the user's account so as to ensure the material could no longer be accessed by anyone except an administrator.
enjay Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 Indeed, I had got the impression from something said earlier that we were talking illegal material here, not just inappropriate.
mwalpole Posted April 6, 2009 Posted April 6, 2009 (edited) Pornography is not illegal in itself, but it is illegal for someone under the age of 18 to view these. Edited April 6, 2009 by mwalpole
GrumbleDook Posted April 6, 2009 Posted April 6, 2009 Close but not quite there. True, pornography is not illegal (and the phrase is rarely used as such in UK law) and possesion of it is not illegal either (even for under 18s) but it is illegal to distribute it to under 18s as well as there being carefully prescribed rules on distribution too. The introduction of recent legislation dealing with extreme porn is another matter though. Other than the recent legislation already mentioned the key legal act is the obscene publications act. There is plenty of case law about this and those found guilty will face more severe punishments if found to have distributed to under 16s. Since the age of consent for sex is 16 it is not common for the CPS to take the same position with 16 and 17 year olds but it does depen on whether they are vulnerable (including those with statements or other recognition of requiring additional needs)
NeoPlosive Posted April 6, 2009 Posted April 6, 2009 Had this the other day. I've implemented a two week ban, letter is going home and I've confiscated the MP3 player (as well as deleted images off their network area and MP3).
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now