znova Posted February 26, 2009 Posted February 26, 2009 Hello, I currently work in a lovely Primary school near Alfreton and I am in my second year of a BSc Computer networks degree. My course includes a mandatory placement and I was very much hoping I could keep my job as my placement. Unfortunatelly powers-to-be decided our placement HAS TO be full time so now I have to quit my job to continue my degree - crazy or what? Anyone looking for an apprentise for a year? Can forward my CV. The crazy thing about it is that when I finish my degree I only want to work part-time so I have time for my kids - I got into network management because it was a hobby, not because I have to!
jamesb Posted February 26, 2009 Posted February 26, 2009 Could you talk to the primary school about taking you on full-time for a year, or possibly talk to a couple of others nearby about splitting the cost of having you full-time between them?
znova Posted February 26, 2009 Author Posted February 26, 2009 To answer the first suggestion: I don't know how it works where you are, but in this area job in a Primary school is never full time - or at least, I have never seen an advert for a full-time job through Derbyshire CC. Second idea has actually been suggested to me by our lovely admin lady but it has it's disadvanatges. Firstly the travelling between sites and secondly, I would still be the IT Department and just maybe I want to see what it's like to actually work with other techies, rather than present the school with a solution and that's it because noone else has a clue anyway.
michael2k6 Posted February 26, 2009 Posted February 26, 2009 As a slightly different option, you could see about working for us for a year? I have absolutely no idea whether we'd take you on for a year but i believe it's been done before. We're on Pride Park, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to get to. Like i say, don't get too excited, i don't know if it's something we're in a position to do at the moment and i have absolutely no power over recruitment! But why not give us a bell and ask? Michael Sanderson Serco Learning
GrumbleDook Posted February 26, 2009 Posted February 26, 2009 Have you also considered asking the LA?
znova Posted February 27, 2009 Author Posted February 27, 2009 Hello again! I will have a look at Serco, thanks. LA generally advertises jobs through their website and I wouldn't really know how else to contact them - unless I ask one of our support guys there, that's a thought!
Ric_ Posted February 27, 2009 Posted February 27, 2009 Lancashire isn't far from Derbyshire http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educational-jobs/31355-offering-support-apprenticeship-near-blackpool.html#post297197
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now