ICTNUT Posted January 28, 2009 Posted January 28, 2009 Right Chaps, Need advice on providing faiover for our Ubuntu servers running our VLE. A bit of background: We have our nix setup as VMs on a rather hefty VMWare, Blade, SAN setup which means we would be looking to cluster virtual nix servers. Anyone done it yet? Any pitfalls?
Geoff Posted January 28, 2009 Posted January 28, 2009 Here you go. GettingStarted/Apache: Linux HA The issue of database avalibility or sharing of the web root or the apache configuration is not considered. 1
ICTNUT Posted January 28, 2009 Author Posted January 28, 2009 Yes at the moment we have the DBs and the web front end on the same server but I am looking at having 2 Apache VMs and 2 MySQL VMs with the MySQL VMs possibly replicating but I need to look into this abit more. At the moment lets get the front ends running first I maybe back
Zimmer Posted January 28, 2009 Posted January 28, 2009 Good question ICTNUT, I wouldn't mind knowing how to do this myself. I also have a number of Apache/MySQL web services that need to be placed in a failover cluster. For the time being I have just been doing nightly Robocopies and if a failure occurs I will change DNS to the backup server. Could do with something proper though to be honest!
james_yale Posted January 28, 2009 Posted January 28, 2009 You might look at using LVS and heartbeat to provide a load balanced cluster, rather than having one server idle. It requires provisioning a load balancer (which should also have a failover partner) so is some extra work, but once you've got them up and running you can add extra services easily. MySQL has built in replication that works really well (when it is working), the slave just follows the binary logs of the master. We're having trouble here however where the replication slave keeps stopping, though this is possibly only because the little virtualised replica can't keep up with the monstrously fast master server. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now