Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi Everyone

 

I have just got a new vista test machine and have joined it to the my windows 2003 domain and am currently looking at the new policies.

 

What restriction do other people apply to Vista computers that are different to locking down a normal xp machine.

 

Thanks for all your help.

 

Richard

Posted

I don't remember enabling any others when I tested vista out... although, I did turn on Verbose reporting - it makes it look like the PC is actually doing something while booting/logging on and tells you what piece of software is installing (as opposed to just "Installing Managed Software"

 

can't think where the option is off the top of my head though.

Posted

Have you updated your domains Schema yet?

 

There are couple of Schema updates for Server 2003 I think that allow GPO control of a few of the new Vista features - Folder redirection settings is one of them I think, it's been about 18 months since I did it so my memory isn't great!

 

During the move to Vista from XP we noticed that most of our security policy settings worked fine in Vista, as most of the policy settings are in the same place as XP.

 

In terms of actual restrictions though, well, we pretty much prevent everything!

 

Staff have a little bit of flexibility but students can't do anything to be honest. No right click, can't see the C drive, unable to run .exe or .bat files and so on. Explorer has been bolted down as tight as possible. Basically once upon a time we sat down and went through every policy option until we was happy with the level of lockdown... It took us ages to get right!!! Then we had to do it all over again for staff users!

Posted

Hi

 

I updated the schema when I installed a windows 2003 v2 server but not since then. Is there another update that I have to install.

 

Richard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...