Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a (preferably half-height, but I can always saw a bit off) PCI card that provides an internal 9-pin USB header? I've found these two products:

 

Welcome to Koutech System Inc.

Rosewill.com - Peripherals, Add on Cards, USB 2.0 PCI Card, RC-100

 

But nowhere to buy them for a reasonable price (there's one eBay listing for the US, but the shipping is way too much).

 

--

David Hicks

Posted

You may be right there Peter. They seem to be incredibly rare. I did come across [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/v2-0-Male-Motherboard-Header-Connector/dp/B000QC7NKM/ref=pd_bxgy_ce_img_b]this[/ame], but it'd only work with 1 x front USB port.

 

Alternatively contact the companies you found for UK distributors/sellers. I couldn't find anything in the UK which is a little odd.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/v2-0-Male-Motherboard-Header-Connector/dp/B000QC7NKM]USB v2.0 to Male Motherboard Header Connector: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
  • Thanks 1
Posted
It depends if he needs both ports, I suppose he could run a couple back into the case from the rear USB ports. Go on David do spill the beans what are you making :)
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Yes I'm in agreement I'm not sure if you will get a low prifle card with two internal ports though, those headers are good they could be used in a few different ways.
Posted

Okay, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions - odd that no-one in the UK seems to sell such a thing. All I'm trying to do is add a 3.5" floppy bay memory card reader to one of those RM all-in-one machines we bought second-hand off SysmanMK the other week. Great machines, except this particular one's motherboard only has one of the on-board 9-pin USB headers that the memory card reader device wants to connect to. I thought I'd simply pop onto eBay, order one, done, but it's probably going to be quicker at this rate to see if I can find a 3.5" memory card reader that connects to a standard USB port instead.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted
I found this which may help?

 

Ah! That explains it nicely - that web page explains how to get two converter cables working with a single nine-pine connector. Thanks, that should sort it.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted
I found this which may help?

 

Yep, sorted - ordered off Mr USB's eBay shop, two cables turned up today, chopped the extra black grounding pin off one, plugged the memory card reader in, works just fine. Hooray!

 

--

David Hicks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...