CyberNerd Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 Looks like it has potential, but still at an early stage. I've been testing zimbra here, a similar application with far more functionality. http://www.zimbra.com/
webman Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 I ran a test for myself with RoundCube after it hit the web and I was very impressed with it, but lacked a global address book feature which we need (currently using ye-olde 20th century SquirrelMail) but it looks as if we're going down the Exchange server route *shudder*
CyberNerd Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 I ran a test for myself with RoundCube after it hit the web and I was very impressed with it, but lacked a global address book feature which we need (currently using ye-olde 20th century SquirrelMail) but it looks as if we're going down the Exchange server route *shudder* In that case you should definately look into zimbra as it does all exchange does and more. I've posted about this before but have still not come up with any technical reason why not to migrate from exchange, but a lot of reasons why we should. I've left this in the hands of my boss to make a political decision.
Geoff Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 Zimbra and Scalix are probably the best of the bunch atm.
webman Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 I'd love to use something else, but it'd be a waste of time trying to implement something else and show the staff how to use it before we go to Exchange. It's not a decision that I have any say in, nor is it one I'm in favour of. Firstly on a personal level, I created our present mail server form scratch and have been pleased with the outcome and it's use over the past 18 months; and secondly I'm not sure Exchange is the best option out there - as it's been pointed out, open source offering are just as good, if not better.
Geoff Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 Yes, in the last 18 months or so (since the dawn of AJAX) Open source Webmail stuff has really come on and totally suppassed what Exchange is capable of. If you'd asked 2 years ago, things were different.
plexer Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 Do these exchange alternatives offer the functionality of syncing a windows mobile device with your calendar, email, contacts etc... that you can do with exchange? Ben
Geoff Posted April 25, 2006 Posted April 25, 2006 ActiveSync 4.x doesn't work properly with Scalix yet. 3.8 is fine though. Zimbra doesn't support MAPI yet, so nothing beyond mail access with IMAP.
CyberNerd Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 zimbra *does* support MAPI so full outlook calendars are available- but only in the commercial version.
Guest Posted April 26, 2006 Posted April 26, 2006 @adamyoung How do you cope without a global address book?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now