armadillo Posted September 17, 2008 Posted September 17, 2008 Hi, I am about tp get 25 HP T5735 thin clients and I just wanted to now if it's best to go for XP embeded ones or Linux? Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for your replies.
Ric_ Posted September 17, 2008 Posted September 17, 2008 I haven't experienced the T5735 but I do have quite a few of many of the other t5000-series terminals. The XPe-based terminals I have are a lot slower than the comparatively specced Linux ones - there is also the increased cost due to the Windows license. I also struggled to find a 'nice' way to set them up - they are over-complicated for their role IMHO. Saying that, the inclusion of XPe does mean that you can attach hardware that only has Windows drivers. There is also a thread on EduGeek where a couple of users have struggled to configure the t5735 Linux terminals. 1
armadillo Posted September 17, 2008 Author Posted September 17, 2008 Thanks for your reply Ric- I am interested in getting reliable and good performance thin client terminals and I was told that the linux version is more difficult to configure whereas XPe ones are easier. Or are there any other models and makes one can trial? Cheers.
Oops_my_bad Posted September 18, 2008 Posted September 18, 2008 We have just bought a load of HP t5735's and succesfully locked them down (or at least put them in a kiosk type mode). No problems thus far If you go down this route I can give you our thinstate image but they aren't hard to set up as it's all gui 1
nut-ed Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 ....how do you virus proof your T5735s ? Do they come with anti-virus pre-installed or do you need to add this to each terminal....? How do you manage the local T5735 login usernames and passwords....?
Oops_my_bad Posted September 19, 2008 Posted September 19, 2008 If I'm honest I havent bothered with AV on the terminals (they are linux) but when I get chance I will look at the posibility of putting something like clam-AV on there. I would have thought there would be a compatible package. Unless I'm mistaken you can mount the file system in read-only mode anyway. The first thing I did was change user passwords. If you logon as root you can run "passwd" and change both the user and root passwords to something other than the defaults. I then set it so that when the TC is switched on it auto logs on as "user" and runs the citrix client straight away. If they logoff from their citrix session of just close it the TC shuts down. 1
armadillo Posted March 16, 2009 Author Posted March 16, 2009 (edited) I'm using T5535's, I'd recommend them. Hi, First question: I am currently trying to get an HP5730 XPe to connectnto win 2003 TS server automaticaly but I am having problems, I am using this batch file: mstsc /console /f /v:myserver /u:user /p:password, but no luck. The second question is: is there a cheaper version to Citrix as I am looking into making a linux Terminals to run smoothly with win 2003 TS server (that's another room whihc is kitted out with HP5735 debian) we're having problems with usb sticks, password protected office documents etc. Sorry to bombard you with this. Thanks in advance for any advice. Edited March 16, 2009 by armadillo
will_lingard Posted March 16, 2009 Posted March 16, 2009 Hi , I work for thin client supplier and we supply both HP and Citrix. If it would help , I can ask one of my engineers to call you to discuss the HP units and how best to set them up ... or I can supply details of a large school that use HP units so you can discuss directly. As a cheaper version of Citrix , I would suggest 2X.... works in the same mannor as Citrix but is licenced per Server not user , so can save a large amount of money. Hope this helps. Will Lingard
armadillo Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 Thanks Will for your advice and help earlier and I look forward to talking to you about making HP5730 XPe clients more stable.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now