Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We are consulting to change the name of our non-academy single-form primary school for various reasons. This will present a massive technical challenge when it comes to dealing with the Microsoft tenancy and other such systems. The change it likely to occur at the end of this academic year, so I have some time to plan for it. I am a one-man-band, though I can call upon the services of a couple of people if I need to. I could also bring in an outside company to perform this, obviously at a not insignificant cost. I am presume I'd be dealing with a new domain name, either renaming the existing tenant (though my understanding that the .onmicrosoft.com cannot be renamed) or creating a brand new tenant and migrating everything across.

 

We are a full Entra/SharePoint domain with an on-site AD server (though the AD server is purely for user account creation via Locker Connect that syncs to Entra, DNS and DHCP). All devices are Intune-only, so presumably would have to be either configured with the new domain name or reimaged (depending on which route is taken).

 

Does anyone have any advice on what I can expect, things I should plan for or anything to watch out for?

Edited by CHiLL
Posted

I just applied a custom domain as my primary, created a new onmicrosoft fallback and changed the Sharepoint tenancy via powershell to the new fallback...

 

Start-SPOTenantRename -DomainName <NewDomainName> -ScheduledDateTime <YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS>

 

Then I updated all the usernames to be the new custom domain manually, created the old names as aliases and added DNS for the new one. After about 2 years I removed all the old custom domain addresses and MX routing although we continued to pay for the custom domain name to prevent malicious takeover.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...