Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

A member of staff has brought their iPad (9th Gen) to me because it is constantly asking them to verify their apple account by entering the password in settings.

 

When they try to enter their password they get "Verification Failed. An unknown error occurred."

When I try resetting their password via iforgot.apple.com it says "This account is locked. This account is locked and cannot be used." No reasons given, or options on how to unlock the account.

 

We use Mosyle MDM (free) and although it can communicate with the iPad for some things like removing apps, restarting etc., when I try to remove the activation lock Mosyle just gives "Whoops! An unkown error occurred trying to disable Activation Lock."

Attempting to Erase the iPad with Mosyle has no effect. 

 

I would just create a new AppleID and use that, but without being able to sign out of the current AppleID, or erase the iPad, this isn't an option.

 

I've put it into restore mode by holding the power and home buttons in and connected it to a PC with iTunes. It attempts the restore, then after about 5 minutes iTunes gives the error "The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1109)."

 

I've tried a few times, with my desktop and a laptop, with the same result each time.

 

Any ideas what else I can try? 

Posted

It may be worth calling apple, I have called once before for a different reason, someone managed to create an itunes account with an email address of mine long before they verified these things and I had to get apple to remove it.

  • Like 1
Posted

I finally managed to get the iPad restored.

 

I used the Apple Devices App instead of iTunes. It failed the restore process twice but each time the progress bar on the iPad got a little bit further so i persevered and on the third attempt it has restored successfully.

Mosyle has picked it up and applied the correct group settings for wallpaper etc...

 

I'll just have to create a new AppleID for the member of staff.

  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...