MatthewL Posted November 15, 2025 Posted November 15, 2025 I am just carrying out some reorginisation of my home network, I currently have a VLAN for my network i.e. PC, laptop, phone. I had a seperate guest network which I had the likes of my Alexa's on but creating a new seperate IoT VLAN what network would you put the following devices on; Sonos speakers, Sky boxes, Alexas and Hive heating? I already have my doorbell, car charger and tapo plugs will be moved over, no reason any of the devies need to be on the LAN just restricted internet. The Sonos needs to talk to the NAS for Music which I can allow, just wondered what your thoughts are?
PaddyNewman Posted November 16, 2025 Posted November 16, 2025 My fridge, ring, alexa, govee, blink cams and my random alibaba light controllers for the garden are all on an IoT network which has no access to my other LANs, and I have opened the firewall outbound as its just a hassle to maintain. I WFH so I split all this off years ago and keep my work machine split from everywhere, but I hate IoT with a passion and hate doing loads of rules, so just shoved em on their own network away from the home and work stuff, but its anything that is install and I never touch. If I need to touch or use it, its on my home network, but I tend to know what its doing and its off if I am not using etc. I don't think its something many care about, but I don't like the amount of noise on the network and the amount they just talk out to random folk. 1
TheRobins Posted November 21, 2025 Posted November 21, 2025 On 16/11/2025 at 17:00, PaddyNewman said: I don't think its something many care about, but I don't like the amount of noise on the network and the amount they just talk out to random folk. Thats quite true, everything sits very happily on my Amazon Ero 6 Pro's and runs at the full 900mbps when I need it from my FTTP connection
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now