mitchell1981 Posted July 2, 2025 Posted July 2, 2025 Hi All, I know there are a few Bromcom API users on here. I'm very new to this. I want to write back some data to Bromcom using a PowerApp. Specifically write to a UDF. As per the screen shot, how do I identify the 'userDefinedFieldInstanceId' which I assume identifies the specific UDF. I thought it would be the name of the UDF, but it looks like it's expecting a number. Assuming I can configure this data correctly, how do I then send this to the API. Do I use an invoke-webrequest, and if so, how do I know how to format it? Apologies, if I'm asking stupid questions. I haven't found the api guidance particularly comprehensive.
SteveM555 Posted July 2, 2025 Posted July 2, 2025 It is a REST API so it accepts HTTP methods GET, POST and DELETE and data passed to the endpoint in the request body. A very basic example using Powershell would be something like: $uri = "https://api.bromcomcloud.com/UserDefinedFieldsData" $body = @{ applicationId = "your_application_id" applicationSecret = "your_application_secret" schoolId = 20001 personId = 000 userDefinedFieldInstanceId = 0 dataValue = "Data for field" } try { $response = Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Method 'POST' -Body $body Write-Host "Success! Server Response:" -ForegroundColor Green $response | ConvertTo-Json } catch { Write-Host "API call failed. Error details:" -ForegroundColor Red $errorResponse = $_.Exception.Response.Content | ConvertFrom-Json $errorResponse | ConvertTo-Json } If you were given documentation for the previous SOAP API, you should have access to the Bromcom Test Instance/School that you can use for testing. If not, I'd request this from them as I would not recommend any development on live site at all and things could go bad very quickly. The partner API is pretty good, but support is lacking a lot, asking a question is currently at 30 days with an open ticket.. 1
mitchell1981 Posted July 3, 2025 Author Posted July 3, 2025 Thank you. This is really useful. And good advice about the test instance. I'll do that before I go any further!
Marci Posted July 14, 2025 Posted July 14, 2025 On 02/07/2025 at 10:36, mitchell1981 said: As per the screen shot, how do I identify the 'userDefinedFieldInstanceId' which I assume identifies the specific UDF. I thought it would be the name of the UDF, but it looks like it's expecting a number. At a guess, do a GET on UserDefinedFieldInstanceOptions first...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now