Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

In desperate need of some help with a RIS / WDS problem. I am trying to deploy XP images using RIS / WDS (tried both on different servers with the same probem)

 

I create an image fine, add all the drivers and software get everything setup as required & the master imae works great.. run riprep and let that complete.. get another machine of identical harware spec, pxe boot and choose the image.. Once complete you get the ADD NEW HARDWARE Wizard appear asking to install the drivers for a Plug and Play Monitor which goes through fine, and then drivers for the Hard drive or "Generic Volume"; this never completes successfully and gives "Access is denied" with only the option to click Finish. From this point on if you reboot the machine the OS will not boot sucessfully again - it just goes into an eternal loop of starting to load Windows > Rebooting. This effects all images and all types of hardware. I tried setting up WDS in Legacy mode on another server with exactly the same outcome. I am using XP SP3 volume license disc as my flat image and using the same disc to create the workstation images. The flat image deploys fine no problems. Tried other versions of XP for the flat image but made no difference.

 

I do get a file copy error in the graphical part of Windows setup (not initial blue screen setup where it copies the files) just before it tries to join the domain automatically, error copying "c_201207.nls" - press escape and the setup continues. I have checked and the file is present in the location its requesting it from (Flat image\i386)

 

Any ideas as this is a total show stopper for us and are going to have to look at Ghost or something similar which I really don't want to do. Why this is now a problem I have no idea we used to use RIS perfectly.

 

Thanks :) Really appreciate some help on this.

Posted

Alas, I dont use riprep, due to the method i use with RIS.

 

Sorry... i know that isnt a help but we use RIS to install XP / 2003 automated along with applications needed for the machine automated too using some scripts.

 

It does involve a fair bit of work, but provides a nice clean install thats exactly what you need :)

 

I can point you in the direction if you are interested but alas I wish i knew more on riprep to know what to say on it.

 

No idea whether it helps but are there any updated tools you may need for SP3?

 

I know there is a new deployment tools for it, which you might want to look up.

 

Good luck.

Nath.

Posted

not used nlite or anything similar here. Just a standard windows install here plus the hardware drivers plus a few programs that wont msi. Create the image and updated the answer file with our xp key etc. Why oh why this is happening i am at a total loss as we used to use it fine years ago pre sp2. Could it be something to do with my volume license /select cd maybe?

Posted via Mobile Device

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...