Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I've been assisting one of our deputy heads with getting data from sims and into Power BI.

I've accomplished all the command reporting, task scheduling and delivery of data to his profile path.

 

The CSV is updated daily but he has to open power BI update the data and then publish it, he's asked me if I can look into a way this is also automated.

 

I've next to no knowledge of Power BI. I've found stuff regarding sharepoint but were a google school and even then I'd rather this kind of data were not online.

anyone have any knowledge or ideas on how I can achieve this for him?

 

TIA

Paul

Posted (edited)

Publish the report to the PowerBI Service, then head to https://app.powerbi.com, properties > settings ( ... button > settings) on the Report's Semantic Model in the PowerBI Service online to set up scheduled refresh.

 

If your CSVs aren't in a cloud-accessible storage space then put them in one in a protected folder that only he can access, and then he'll need to rebuild his dataset to pull CSVs in from that cloud storage using Data > Get Data > and an appropriate connector... or you'll need to read up on installing the Personal Data Gateway and setting that up so that the BI Service can talk to your local machine holding your data.

 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-scheduled-refresh

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-deployment-guidance

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/paths/get-transform-data-power-bi/

Edited by Marci
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks Marci

 

I've forwarded your reply to him as he knows more about the Power BI side of this than I do, and it seems similar to advice he's got elsewhere but with more detail and it makes more sense to him now, so were going to go through it together and fingers crossed we can get it sorted :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...