Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have just had a room of new iMacs installed and none of them show up in DNS in Windows 2003. Any know know why? and how i can get them to appear?

 

Thanks

Posted

You need to make sure you set the FQDN properly and for some reason, known only to Apple, Macs have several names. Run the following commands as root in a terminal:

 

scutil --set ComputerName mycomputer.mydomain.com
scutil --set LocalHostName mycomputer.mydomain.com
scutil --set HostName mycomputer.mydomain.com

 

The commands are case sensitive.

 

I think that the machines will also need to use DHCP to get their IPs too.

  • Thanks 4
Posted
Thanks Ric

 

So would i have to do this on every mac?

 

Yeah... I have it in a bash script so that the name gets changed before I join OD and AD.

Posted

If they aren't part of the domain, you may also have to configure your DHCP server to add the entries for you. By default I think DHCP only adds if the client requests it to.

 

Edit: Thinking about it, that may also be true if they are part of the domain. Your mileage may vary.

Posted
If they aren't part of the domain, you may also have to configure your DHCP server to add the entries for you. By default I think DHCP only adds if the client requests it to.

 

Edit: Thinking about it, that may also be true if they are part of the domain. Your mileage may vary.

 

How do you mean please?

Posted
You need to make sure you set the FQDN properly and for some reason, known only to Apple, Macs have several names. Run the following commands as root in a terminal:

 

scutil --set ComputerName mycomputer.mydomain.com
scutil --set LocalHostName mycomputer.mydomain.com
scutil --set HostName mycomputer.mydomain.com

 

The commands are case sensitive.

 

I think that the machines will also need to use DHCP to get their IPs too.

 

Hi, when i try to do this on Tiger i get permission denied do you know why please? The account has admin rights.

 

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...