markwatkins Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 (edited) BE unlimited is available on my exchange currently with BT which is allegedly 2Mb... never seen it even close to that.... has anyone any comments re BE? I have never heard of them Edited July 28, 2008 by markwatkins
kmount Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Best bet would be to search tb's forums here and get a feel for the market yourself.
Hightower Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Yeah, that would work on their end but not at your local exchange where the first level of contention occurs. The tricks depend wholly on how you've got your router connected, i.e whether its into the master socket, filtered faceplate, is the ring wire connected etc? You need to grab some line stats (Downstream & Upstream SNR and Attenuation along with your sync speed). We'll work on from there. Here's what my router says (which is plugged in to an extenstion the runs directly upstairs from the master) Line rate: D 4512 Kbps U 448 Kbps Attainable Line Rate: D 5056 Kbps U 1136 Kbps Noise Margin: D 11.1 dB U 22.0 dB Line Attenuation: D 32.5 dB U 23.5 Kbps Output Power: D 12.4 Kbps U 19.8 Kbps Is this all the info you need?
kmount Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 Would be worth trying it in the test socket (locating behind the master socket's faceplate) with no filter connected. From there, you get a comparison of the 'best it can be' versus what it is currently. The margin at 11.1dB suggests some line instability in a 24 hour period which will have lowered your sync from probably around 6mbit. - Would be interesting to see the difference from the master socket.
Hightower Posted July 28, 2008 Posted July 28, 2008 To plug it into the master is a right chew on. There's no power down there for a start so it means getting the extension lead out. I always don't have a wireless PC so it would mean taking my PC downstairs too to hook it up - either that or a huge network cable. Is there any quick fixes I can try?
mrwobbly Posted August 4, 2009 Posted August 4, 2009 To plug it into the master is a right chew on. There's no power down there for a start so it means getting the extension lead out. I always don't have a wireless PC so it would mean taking my PC downstairs too to hook it up - either that or a huge network cable. Is there any quick fixes I can try? You could remove the ring wires from all sockets as these cause problems and are not required on modern telephones. An easier way if you have a NTE5 BT master socket is to fit an iplate which you can pick up on Ebay or from Dabs. This disconnects the ring wires at the master socket. I fitted one last month for someone and the line speed doubled.
CESIL Posted August 4, 2009 Posted August 4, 2009 Unless the STM kicks in between 10am and 9pm, when you get 5mb...grrrrrr I have been on the upgraded 10Mb line (from 2Mb) with Virgin for a couple of months and the worst I have seen on speedtest.net is 8.5 and that was when my son was also online. Several times I have had 10.04 recorded. I have done the tests at different times of the day and it has averaged about 9.5. Perhaps I don't do enough (or big enough) downloads to get capped but I use the internet pretty much all day during the holidays (ie now)... Here is the latest test result http://www.speedtest.net/result/532077249.png [EDIT] Just noticed the bit that says distance: < 50mi...I think I live somewhat further away from manchester than that [/EDIT]
RabbieBurns Posted August 4, 2009 Posted August 4, 2009 My folks are with Be, and Ive converted a few of my mates onto be too... Brilliant service, support, speeds etc... If anyone wants a recommendation, for free installation etc, give me a shout (gives me a free month too) I run my own DNS servers so I cant comment on if they have a problem with DNS..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now