Netwacky87 Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 Morning all, Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this with Unifi kit, i'm scratching my head now and can't seem to pin it down. Randomly, Unifi AC Pro's let a client connect but does not give them internet access (Picks up DHCP lease) but cannot ping anything, internally or externally. Latest Unifi firmware on AP's and latest controller version. Sometimes its fine but often can delay a class starting properly, normally give it a few minutes and its OK. I cannot figure this one out, i'm stumped...firmware? I know unifi firmware can play up. Smoothwall for internet access. Thanks!
Michael Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 I support many of these running the latest 6.5.28 firmware with no problems. I presume you're using Windows DHCP to dish out IPs?
Netwacky87 Posted March 13, 2023 Author Posted March 13, 2023 I presume you're using Windows DHCP to dish out IPs? Nah, directly from Smoothwall UTM-10. DNS is local smoothwall box with secondary as 8.8.8.8, DNS forwarders in smoothwall are to Windows DNS...pretty simple set up really.
DrCheese Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 Yes, you'll get an issue with Unifi devices on the BYOD wifi. To fix it immediately, run iptables -F mac1x You'll find that the device can then ping again - Although it will break later To fix permanently In the file: /etc/actions/secondboot/0090firewall You will find a section around line 169 that looks like this: 169 # Connect INPUT and FORWARD chains to the mac1x chain 170 /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -j mac1x 171 /sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -j mac1x REM out the 2 sbin line: 169 # Connect INPUT and FORWARD chains to the mac1x chain 170 REM /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -j mac1x 171 REM /sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -j mac1x You'll need to do this after each smoothwall update. It's something that I think smoothwall should really give a GUI option for now, as we've had to do this for a few years now. 4
Netwacky87 Posted March 13, 2023 Author Posted March 13, 2023 Thanks for this @DrCheese! Can you give some back story to this? It seems to be a new thing over here (which seems to be getting worse!)
Primus Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 Yes, you'll get an issue with Unifi devices on the BYOD wifi. To fix it immediately, run iptables -F mac1x You'll find that the device can then ping again - Although it will break later To fix permanently In the file: /etc/actions/secondboot/0090firewall You will find a section around line 169 that looks like this: 169 # Connect INPUT and FORWARD chains to the mac1x chain 170 /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -j mac1x 171 /sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -j mac1x REM out the 2 sbin line: 169 # Connect INPUT and FORWARD chains to the mac1x chain 170 REM /sbin/iptables -I INPUT -j mac1x 171 REM /sbin/iptables -I FORWARD -j mac1x You'll need to do this after each smoothwall update. It's something that I think smoothwall should really give a GUI option for now, as we've had to do this for a few years now. Strange - we never saw this issue when we used the Smoothwall to provide DHCP for our guest network (we don't use the Smoothwall for this anymore but not because we had issues) and we've got loads of AC Pros and guest network users.
DrCheese Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 Thanks for this @DrCheese! Can you give some back story to this? It seems to be a new thing over here (which seems to be getting worse!) No idea I'm afraid, was just the fix that SW gave me when I mentioned it on here before. Another fix they've said in the past is moving the radius auth to a Windows NPS server & just sending the SW box the accounting packets - I didn't want to do this tho as it would mean having an NPS server visible on the BYOD network, which defeats the point in separating it IMO 1
Netwacky87 Posted March 13, 2023 Author Posted March 13, 2023 @DrCheese I'm presuming the box will need another reboot following REM'ing of the 2 lines? Thanks!
DrCheese Posted March 13, 2023 Posted March 13, 2023 Yes, you need to reboot the machine for it to kick in.
Netwacky87 Posted March 17, 2023 Author Posted March 17, 2023 It looks like that may have fixed the issue! Thank you so much for your help. 👍👏 1
tim88 Posted March 20, 2023 Posted March 20, 2023 Hi Dr. Cheese, I am having the same issue, is it possible to explain what those commands do on the smoothwall? So I can translate the fix to my SonicWall. It is so strange, I only get it on a random AP whilst the others are functioning and I did a full reset to factory defaults on 1 AP. Which has fixed that for the minute, but that cannot be the solution.
DrCheese Posted March 21, 2023 Posted March 21, 2023 Hi Dr. Cheese, I am having the same issue, is it possible to explain what those commands do on the smoothwall? So I can translate the fix to my SonicWall. It is so strange, I only get it on a random AP whilst the others are functioning and I did a full reset to factory defaults on 1 AP. Which has fixed that for the minute, but that cannot be the solution. No idea I'm afraid - I'd say to get in touch with Sonicwall and point them in the direction of this thread to see if it's a similar issue.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now