ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 We have Nova satellite running on a standalone laptop. The laptop is a new Dell laptop built from the dell image with just office on it. Nova T4 runs fine but when you try and run T6 it crashes with a kernel32.dll error. Has anyone come accross this before as its a little non specific for me to be able to diagnose Cheers Chris
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 How did you run the setup for it, we recently did this, I've forgotten the process we went through, but how did you go about updating it? Chris
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 Thinking about it, if you're running sims off of a server, you should be able to burn the updates setup files from the server onto a DVD or something, and run the new setup program....... Don't quote me on that, but when we try and update curriculum off admin, i just stick the whole updated "setup" folder onto a 1Gb pen drive, and copy it onto our curriculum server, once you run solus etc, it's happy. Chris
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 I didnt install it the Deputy did who is the Sims System manager. I will ask him about the update though.
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 Ok the Nova files were copied from the source after a Solus update. You run the Nova setup from that then go to that setup and run the further snova setup. You then copy the licence file over. Nova 4 Launches fine but nova 6 crashes. I even tried compatability mode on the off chance but no joy.
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 Are you sure that the license file matches the nova6 version? Chris
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 I assume so Im following an instruction sheet produced by the LEA. I dont do SIMS stuff very often so Im not too good with it. The systems manager takes care of most stuff I just get the problems like this to fix.
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 Ours went pretty smoothly, so I can't really help you much more, do you get support or anything, I would try phoning them up, or scouring their support website. Chris
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 He phoned for support and they told him to pass it onto me as it sounded like a configuration problem with the laptop :?
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 Yea, that's really professional of them!! Try reinstalling Nova from scratch (if you haven't already). What's your disk space like? sometimes kernel will throw a paddy if you're running out of space on ur HDD. If they don't work, an extreme solution could be to repair install windows over the top (i'm assuming you're using xp), as it could be a windows problem, although I really doubt this if it's only nova thats causing the problem. I would say try totallu uninstalling and installing nova would be the first line of action. Chris
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 Already tried that and that laptop is only 3 weeks old so im stuck for now
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 How old is your dell image? It might be a good idea to update your graphics driver, as this can, in cases cause kernel problems. Also, just check the registry is ok etc etc. Chris
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 The image is the factory image and the graphics driver was upgraded by windows update earlier to a new specific dell one. Thanks for the suggestions though.
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 So, it's standalone, but connected to the network, do you have access to the network setups area of nova? Possibly try installing off there, if you haven't already....
ChrisH Posted March 15, 2006 Author Posted March 15, 2006 I have all the files I need to set it up so I dont think the network option will make any difference. I have replicated the error on my workstaion now so it is not machine specific, so I have logged a call with our SIMs support
ChrisC Posted March 15, 2006 Posted March 15, 2006 That's alright then, their taking responsibility! They can't say it's a station problem if it's only their software causing it to be honest. Chris
ChrisH Posted March 17, 2006 Author Posted March 17, 2006 Solved finally after some brain storming between me and the Sims support who visited today. After getting annoyed at it not working on 3 machines we finally had a break through. The instructions from capita state that you only need to run work station setup if you are doing options. This is not true in order to get novaT-6 running you also have to run workstation setup.
ChrisC Posted March 17, 2006 Posted March 17, 2006 That would make sence, I seem to remember that we wanted options anyway, so we ran it. It's nice when they get their instructions right!! Chris
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now