sparkeh Posted June 16, 2008 Posted June 16, 2008 I am just finishing off our AUP for teacher laptops. I was wondering what the position is on the school viewing the data on teacher laptops. Are we allowed to just take them and view any data that is on them. I was going to put in something like "The school reserves the right to view any data that is stored on the laptop that you have been issued" Is this ok? I was thinking that if they agree to it and sign it, it was ok. Plus the laptop belongs to the school anyway.
pallen Posted June 18, 2008 Posted June 18, 2008 Laptops get the same treatment as any other client. Our network is used for educational use only, and as the equipment is owned by the school, you should be authorisesd to look at any data stored. However, you would need a valid reason to go searching through files stored on someones user area. Like you say, if it is in the AUP they sign, then you already have permisssion to do what the AUP says. Every now and then I run a file scanner and if it picks up some dodgy files in user areas then I will investigate further. Everyone who uses the schools facilities signs an AUP which states that everything they do is monitored, this includes Laptops. 1
sparkeh Posted June 18, 2008 Author Posted June 18, 2008 Great thanks for the reply. I kinda thought that was the situation but wanted to check.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now