Duranis Posted October 19, 2020 Posted October 19, 2020 I'm a PC gamer and don't really play on consoles unless I have to but modern consoles allow you to plug keyboard and mouse in these days. That's only if compatibility is built into the game though isn't it?
Jawloms Posted October 31, 2020 Posted October 31, 2020 The thing I struggle with when using websites etc to build your own is I don't know what is compatible with what. I just used the PCSpecialist one and picked an RTX 2060 video card. The PSU was a 350W. Surely it needs a beefier PSU doesn't it? My question isn't particularly "what PSU do I need for that card", it's more how do I know what works with what, or is there a picker out there which will only let you choose compatible stuff? Thank you Stuart
CHiLL Posted October 31, 2020 Posted October 31, 2020 The thing I struggle with when using websites etc to build your own is I don't know what is compatible with what. I just used the PCSpecialist one and picked an RTX 2060 video card. The PSU was a 350W. Surely it needs a beefier PSU doesn't it? My question isn't particularly "what PSU do I need for that card", it's more how do I know what works with what, or is there a picker out there which will only let you choose compatible stuff? Thank you Stuart Yeah, PC Part Picker have a UK subsection, that can track prices and will adjust for compatibility. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ 1
Protec Posted October 31, 2020 Posted October 31, 2020 I have always preferred using an OEM PC and upgrading it. It's much cheaper and you can get good performance. A few years ago, I bought a Dell Optiplex 7010 and upgraded the RAM to make it 16gb, installed a Kingston SSD, Corsair VS350 PSU, 2 HDDs and a Asus GTX 750 Ti and even now, it works perfectly for the things I do on it. 1
Jawloms Posted November 29, 2020 Posted November 29, 2020 (edited) I've been poking around and come up with this; Ignore the SSD, I already have one, I've just put one there for the sake of it. Any good though? It doesn't say anything is incompatible. Can anyone recommend a PSU and CPU fan for a sensible price? Processor - £110 Video card - £165 (If I can actually find any stock anywhere!) RAM - £40 Motherboard - £105 Thank you Stuart Edited November 29, 2020 by Jawloms
Protec Posted November 29, 2020 Posted November 29, 2020 The stock cooler will probably be fine. As for power supplies the Corsair ones have been good in my experience. 1
Jawloms Posted November 29, 2020 Posted November 29, 2020 The stock cooler will probably be fine. As for power supplies the Corsair ones have been good in my experience. Hadn't realised they came with coolers! Do you know what sort of wattage I'd need for the PSU, and I assume they all come with all the correct leads, plugs and sockets to plug in video cards etc? I ask that as I currently have a GTX 550 on an older motherboard for which I needed an adapter to get from 4 pins on the PSU to 6 in to the card.
3s-gtech Posted November 29, 2020 Posted November 29, 2020 350w will work. You’d be surprised how little that pick of parts would pull on full tilt. However, don’t skimp on brand. Getting one that can deliver more power would be wise to support future upgrades, but many of the newest cards are pretty power efficient. 1
CHiLL Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 That build will be fine for 1080p gaming, though like others have said, don't skimp on the PSU. I've been using Corsair for years and looking at reviews, I don't think you could go wrong with the Corsair CV450 for £40 (Currys and Ebuyer atm). 1
Jawloms Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 That build will be fine for 1080p gaming, though like others have said, don't skimp on the PSU. I've been using Corsair for years and looking at reviews, I don't think you could go wrong with the Corsair CV450 for £40 (Currys and Ebuyer atm). Why 1080p? What would I need to get up to 4K? Not that he does a lot that needs anything that high end yet!
Protec Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 I have the VS350 and it's still working after almost 5 years of daily use and my PC is on all day. I have also used a VS350 for a recent Dell Optiplex 3010 upgrade. My computer (Optiplex 7010) is from late 2013 so it's getting a bit old but it's still perfectly fast enough for me, it's got 16gb RAM, SSD and 750 Ti Graphics Card which is good enough for me.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 For 4k? An i5 / Ryzen (I'd go ryzen) A beefy PSU and one of the extremely hard to buy new gen of graphics cards. RTX 3070/80 or AMD RX6800 XT. Anything earlier will struggle a little. 1
CHiLL Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 Why 1080p? What would I need to get up to 4K? Not that he does a lot that needs anything that high end yet! This is game dependent, but generally the 1650S graphics card just doesn't have enough horse power to play at 4K, unless it's on low settings and low FPS. You'd have a much better gaming experience at high settings with higher FPS. 1
sted Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 Why 1080p? What would I need to get up to 4K? Not that he does a lot that needs anything that high end yet! depends on the game. i can get a stable 4k60 from my setup on forza horizon 4 but horizon zero dawn i nhad to drop to 1440p to get anything like 60 (and even then it wasnt stable though i suspect thats a badly optimised game) and thats on a ryzen 3600x and a geforce 2060 super
Jawloms Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 If I can find any stock anywhere(!) I've decided to go for the 1660S instead of the 1650S.
Griff Posted November 30, 2020 Posted November 30, 2020 Worth checking on OCUK for B grade 2060 super, I picked one up on Friday it was listed £400 i offered them £200 via the pre-sales forum and got it for £209
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now