Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Having recently installed Windows server R2 we decided to take advantage of the deployed printer feature in R2 to install our printers across the network.

But it seems I have come up against a great big bloody wall that means I won’t be using this feature.

On successful deploying the printers out to a test machine and then logging on as a student I find that when I open MS publisher and open an existing publication and then go to print it, it throws up and error with the printer about not able to see the printer. But it doesn't have this problem with any other bit of software i.e. word, excel and even photo printing.

To see where the problem lays I installed the said printer as a standard TCP/IP printer and what do u know it works fine.

The problem is I would like to get this working because it would be such a time saving feature but a lot of departments in school still use publisher and they can’t do with not being able to use publisher to print.

Has anyone come across the problem had a quick Google search but nothing is coming up.

The printer in question is a HP Photo smart 8750.

Posted
Does the printer have a share name longer that 8 characters, a dash or a space in it?

 

It is 10 characters long but no dashs or spaces.

Posted
It is 10 characters long but no dashs or spaces.

 

You could try with a shorter name, publisher 2003 and 2000 printing system is a bit out of date.

Posted
We had no end of Publisher 2003 printing issues a big one was that it printed to the network printer that the document was created on so we had jobs heading all over the school. SP3 sorted almost all issue (Office SP3 not XP SP3).
Posted

I have found that publisher likes the printer name and share name to be the same.

 

i.e. hp3600 :share = hp3600

not hp3600 printer : share = hp3600

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...