john Posted February 22, 2006 Posted February 22, 2006 Ok, I have used RIS sucessfully to deploy maybe 200 machines now, and built a nice set of images up, but they were all on my test machine, which is now needed for Vista testing. Now it works and we are using it instead of Ghost, I thought lets put it on another machine and move the images over. Here comes the problem! The server that its going to has 2 network cards, with 2 different IPs (2 seperate LANs) so i didnt think twice about it, i installed it, put the base XP image on it and then moved my others to it, they show up in Active D etc... it shows as authorised in both DHCPs, but when I try and boot a client from it, it shows a timeout error with a mention of something like AUP? (I have forgotten what it said and as I am home I cannot see my notes) But a google of the error indicated it is an error giving the info out or something to maybe do with DNS as well as DHCP. I think it had an 11 in the error, I do remember it trys 4 times then gives over and HDD boots instead. I have checked all my settings and they are fine so why did it work on my test machine with one NIC, but not one with two NICs? Is this a limitation of RIS? I have reset it up on a machine with 1 NIC, appart from a BSOD when trying to Load Windows Setup (after the driver loading bits - indicates a iffy NIC driver, which is easily solved...) it seems fine again, and responds fine, so does anybody else use it with 2 LANs off 1 server? I need my test machine back, so could do with it off it this week (1/2 term) but dont have a spare server to use it on, so any thoughts? I have thought of purchasing a cheap HP ML110 for the job with a couple of cheap SATA HDDs for it, and some of the HP offers are very attractive, but would rather not spend my last few 100 squids on it if its me being dense. Any advice greatfully received Ta!
ajbritton Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 IIRC, you cannot use RIS from a multi-homed server (ie, one with more than one network card). If possible, try disabling one of the interfaces, reboot then try a client again. This may or may not prove it. Try googling for 'RIS' and 'Multi-homed'
tarquel Posted February 23, 2006 Posted February 23, 2006 Topic heading changed to be more descriptive - Nath Having my own share of fun with RIS today hehe
john Posted February 23, 2006 Author Posted February 23, 2006 Thanks for the links, I had sort of thought that may be the problem. So its going to stay on my test machine, and I can possibly have another new test machine!
john Posted February 23, 2006 Author Posted February 23, 2006 Did I mention that my test machine is a ML370G4????? Actually, its a Biostar cube with a P4 630, 512MB Ram and 80GB Hard Drive
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now