Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is something I wonder about at times and I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts about it, particularly if your school does things along this line.

 

What can schools be doing better to educate their pupils about their own security or privacy online? I'm thinking beyond the usual e-safety stuff (don't give out your home address online, etc.) and more about password hygiene, 2FA, making informed decisions about whether or not to be using stuff like Facebook, Alexa, browser plugins, etc.

 

Not based on any structured observations, purely anecdotal, but I imagine students' phones will be full of crap that they're not actively using, which is in turn tied to online accounts they've registered but forgotten about, etc. Staff are likely no better. The sort of stuff that might make well-informed techies like us here wince and reach for HIBP.

 

Are we failing if we're not trying to introduce more of a privacy mindset than seems to be society's current default?

 

I don't normally worry about what's on the curriculum, but in this regard I wonder who would push it if not the techies?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...