-
Posts
5,700 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jthompson
-
I can't really remember any specifics, which is probably a good thing. It was pretty smooth I think. It's not too dissimilar to FreshDesk, really, except it doesn't try and upsell all over the place
-
Recently switched from FreshDesk to NeetoDesk - https://www.neeto.com/neetodesk We switched because we don't like paying for anything and Neeto's free option includes pretty much all of the features of the paid option. I should think you'll be okay with your various different teams all managed under the one Neeto account.
-
Related coverage of this one: https://arstechnica.com/ai/2026/10/software-is-over-bold-ai-developer-takes-aim-at-adobe-with-open-source-clones/
-
I love this phrasing. RE: the article. The name "Alpha School" conjures up in my mind a certain type of outlook: that of people who think the peak of human experience is to be a workaholic, entrepreneurial business person. Or any number of The Apprentice candidates. It also conjures up in my mind a vision of very unstable, pre-release software that is definitely not ready for public consumption.
-
This looks like a useful thread. For those who've moved to UniFi from Dahau and/or Hikvision, can the UniFi system work with Dahua and Hikvision cameras and still do motion-based recording?
-
Googlebooks are here... what do we think?
jthompson replied to ICTDirect_Joe's topic in ChromeOS & Cloud Based OS
I'm pretty sure that the writing is on the wall for ChromeOS. They want it gone by 2034 https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/16634428 Google clearly want to replace ChromeOS and Chromebooks with GooglebookOS and Googlebooks. The initial launch devices will likely be MacBook-adjacent premium things. Meh. Hopefully the 'good enough' affordable devices for schools will still be worthwhile putting to market, coming once there are some management tools in place. -
I think perhaps Gemini is answering people's Google Workspace queries well enough to create a noticeable lull on here. I've always found MS admin pages give me a sense of a tangled, incoherent, inconsistent mess, whereas Google Admin is far less so, with better written documentation. Add in the nightmarish dimension that is MS licensing, with all of the vague conditionality that that introduces, and I really struggle to get on with it at all.
-
I wonder how long an "Ohh! Suits your, sir!" 'smart' dressing mirror would remain funny for.
-
Oh, I know, it's just that I'm imagining what a smart fridge apologist might offer by way of an out of touch dismissal of any criticism of the existence of smart fridges (and similar tat). Maybe the "S" in IoT doesn't stand for "security" after all, but "stability".
-
I think you might mean v8.9.8.1: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/v8981-released/
-
If you're having to make sure that everything inside the fridge isn't out of date, then how much extra effort is it to just ensure that the fridge itself isn't out of date either?! /s
-
Yup. Prometheum is certainly harder to come by since all those refineries across the Segmentum Mid-Aestus were set ablaze by Warboss Krumpp's SpeedWaaagh!* *I haven't been keeping up with the most recent campaign books, so I don't know if citing that shows me up as being 'out of touch' or not.
-
We do it using security groups also. We have a whole set of "papercut_xxxx" groups for managing the users, accounts and privileges, etc. of PaperCut.
-
Rerun the last command in PowerShell: r Yes, you can also just press "up" to bring up the last command, but you can also use r in pipelines if you're needing the last command in amongst other stuff. Similar to !! in Linux (which enables the inevitable sudo !!)
-
FYI v4 will install alongside v3 as a separate application. There are quite a lot of changes, so being able to retain v3 alongside is handy. V3 is an EXE installer but V4 comes as an MSI now. I'm currently deploying FFMpeg alongside V3 in order to enable MP3 exports. IDK if that's still required for V4 or not.
-
If there were a long-running startup script, I've a feeling that's where the computer would wait for those to complete before presenting the login screen
-
Google AntiGravity - Anyone using it ?
jthompson replied to 2097's topic in AI in Education & Enterprise
There was me thinking I was clever rolling out lots of automation and custom applications using combinations of Apps Script, AppSheet and PowerShell. Is this the sort of stuff I need to be getting to grips with in order to not have my job disappeared by somebody/something else? -
We have firstnames in the givenName attribute (i.e. the attribute AD uses for firstname) and surname in sn. Display names in our first-party systems are "Firstname Surname". We're a secondary, where that hasn't ever appeared to be problematic. I've added a personalTitle attribute to AD and use that to hold Ms, Mrs, Dr, etc. That's synced to our Google Directory as a custom attribute. The only place personal titles are used in our first-party systems is in staff Gmail signatures, which are automated and include that custom attribute. Some staff choose to have their personal title omitted from their email signature, which is why it's held separately from other name fields.
-
I've been weighing up whether or not to buy a new Pebble, as my original is no longer water resistant (due to having 3d-printed buttons) and has a replacement battery that I would rather didn't catch fire. With the vibration alarm being the only feature I actually want from it these days, I decided to instead fend off any risk of obsolescence (and fire) and instead spend a lot less money on Casio's new W-738H vibration alarm watch. It's not a new module, but it's now in a retro square design that I really like, with levels of water resistance and QC that a Pebble will likely never have. Only a single daily alarm with no snooze, so not the flexibility of a Pebble, but the countdown also vibrates and serves well for snoozing purposes (a single press will dismiss and restart it). A watch with vibration that will run for 10 years on a CR2032 battery seems pretty awesome to me. I can't think why Casio aren't adding vibration to more of their watches if it's that efficient. Only gripe is that the LCD viewing angles suffer in comparison to the MIP display on my G-Shock 5600.
-
This is fascinating. That thread includes a link to an amazing blog post that they wrote about adapting a CLI to cater for use AI agents - https://justin.poehnelt.com/posts/rewrite-your-cli-for-ai-agents/?trk=public_post_comment-text I suspect that's the direction Google want to take and so that's one way for my job to evaporate. 😐 Off-topic, sorry.
-
I would love for Google to have made a first-party CLI tool along the lines of GAM. Preferably in PowerShell. Hopefully some nice Googler somewhere will spend their 20% time doing just that and then baking it into Cloud Shell by default. Google Classroom should be lauded for being (and remaining) so education-focused, but there are some glaring omissions in its UI that really make me wonder exactly how Google think a school operates.
-
Sam Neill, Jurassic Park and Peaky Blinders actor, dies aged 78
jthompson replied to r0cketbev's topic in General Chat
It's nice when an actor can play both protagonists and antagonists well enough that they get roles in things where you're left guessing as to which one they'll actually turn out to be. -
Sam Neill, Jurassic Park and Peaky Blinders actor, dies aged 78
jthompson replied to r0cketbev's topic in General Chat
I thought he was so good in Peaky Blinders. Untamed and Apples Never Fall also spring to mind as really good watches from recent years. I was sad to hear the news this morning. Jurassic Park is an all-time favourite of mine (it carries a lot of nice nostalgia for me) and he always seemed to come across so well (warm, funny, genuine) in interviews.
