Gongalong Posted July 3, 2019 Posted July 3, 2019 Hi folks, I'm trying to get Chrome to open URL (or HTTP) files. I've added the Chrome GPO and set it as the default browser, and that's working fine. But when I double click on a URL file it then prompts for the app to open it. So I've followed Google's guide and added a default associations configuration file (I added a row for .URL) https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7009292?hl=en What happens now though is that Chrome opens the files as if they're text files, and just shows the contents. Same with an HTTP file, rather than going to the website. Any ideas? Thanks
Arthur Posted July 3, 2019 Posted July 3, 2019 (edited) What does your XML file look like? Here's mine... [color="#FF0000"][/color] If you have ChromeHTML as the ProgId that could be why it's not working. Edited July 3, 2019 by Arthur 1
Gongalong Posted July 3, 2019 Author Posted July 3, 2019 Yep, looks pretty much the same. Unless I'm missing something? Could it be the URL file? I changed the extension to HTTP, same thing, although that would make sense seeing as it's treated in the same way.
Gongalong Posted July 3, 2019 Author Posted July 3, 2019 To add insult to injury it seems to be stuck now doing this, even though I've set the GPO back to "Not Configured".
Arthur Posted July 3, 2019 Posted July 3, 2019 Unless I'm missing something? The ProgId for .url should be: IE.AssocFile.URL 1
Gongalong Posted July 3, 2019 Author Posted July 3, 2019 *cleans glasses* Yes, that was the crucial difference. Fixed. Thanks!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now