Guest salan Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Hi All, I have been spoilt. Yes I admit it. I have come from an industry where everything HAD to be documented ( FDA,NAMAS etc. Break wind and it had better be tracable and documented!). Now I am at a school and I am trying to find out where some network socket are plugged in to (ie which switch). Some parts are reasonably easy to sort out, but others. Well short of climbing through roofs etc. I havnt been able to sort out. I have tried the approach of 'unplug and see who shouts' but that is not pos in all cases. I seem to remember that there is/was a tool that let you trace a network cable by injecting a signal into it that you could trace. Has anyone any ideas what it is and where I could get? I want to document the whole network so at least I have a fighting chance with problem on it. Not all switches are managed at the mo. Alan
kmount Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Yup, it would be an Oscillator you're looking for alone with a probing lance. Something like this. We're looking into buying one for exactly this reason too.
Ric_ Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Or something like the Test-Um Validator that will flash the hub/switch port for you.
plexer Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Or the test-um NT750 kit which has a network tester that will flash the link led but also has a toner generator and probe for an audible signal. Ben
ninjabeaver Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Or the test-um NT750 kit which has a network tester that will flash the link led but also has a toner generator and probe for an audible signal. Ben Gets my vote to.
ChrisH Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 I have one of these: FLUKE NETWORKS | INTELLIPROBE 100 | Datacomms (LAN) & Telecommunications | Test Equipment | CPC
stratisphere Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 Or if you know it break outs into a certain cab/patch panel, simply get a cheapy cable tester put one end (the sending end?) at the network port, then with the end which has the LED's, try each patch panel port... what ever flashes the right (or wrong if it's dodgy!) is the right one. simple, slightly annoying, but only needs to be done once!
markcuk Posted May 1, 2008 Posted May 1, 2008 this will do the job SolarWinds: Network Management Software ? Designed by Network Engineers for Network Engineers
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now