laserblazer Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 I'm just about to buy a few laptops for teachers. There are fewer and fewer offering XP now and as the majority of these laptops will seldom connect to the network I'm contemplating getting Vista machines. Are there any major issues I should be aware of?
Michael Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Although Vista is found on most machines, you are able to use downgrade rights which would enable you to run Windows XP. I would recommend you check out the manufacturer website for compatibility with XP and driver availability. You then have the choice if Vista causes you problems. At the moment I still use Vista on test machines and don't run it on any of the domains I support. Running Windows Server 2008 is also preferable, which again requires a lot of planning. If you've done no research on Vista or tested application compatibility then I would avoid using Vista for the moment. 1
Quackers Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Either buy them with Vista Business, then wipe them, install XP Pro from a volume licence disc, or buy with Vista Basic, then buy a Windows Upgrade licence from Select, then wipe and install XP Pro. Thats what we do. 1
DSapseid Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 I buy HP Compaq 6715s laptops with xp on them. It takes vista fine as they also do a version with vista business on it.
john Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 I get machines with Vista Business on them and then downgrade them back to XP Pro.
dan400007 Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 Another for XP Pro. I'm using Vista Bus 32Bit on my laptop at the moment and its turned me into a Penguin.
FN-GM Posted April 28, 2008 Posted April 28, 2008 If you have Server 2008 and confident with Vista go for it. If you have 2003 I would hold back until you can get full control. 1
enjay Posted April 29, 2008 Posted April 29, 2008 I get machines with Vista Business on them and then downgrade them back to XP Pro. Same here; that way we have the licences in place already, reducing the implementation costs when we do go to Vista. That said, if these laptops are going to be purely standalone, there is a case for putting Vista out there and allowing the users to familiarise themselves with it. Pick your guinea pigs carefully though, as you wouldn't want to do this with a "known complainer", as it could be a PR nightmare for you! Would it be practical/appropriate to offer the users the choice?
ICT_GUY Posted April 29, 2008 Posted April 29, 2008 I have been spending a fair bit of time with a vista laptop for a family member this week. There are a couple of things I like (like the replacement for the run button). But on the whole I have to say what an utter pile of sh*t, and I really mean that. Its slow, clunky, annoying, impedes even simple tasks, and generally runs like crap. Constant dialogue boxes for even simple tasks take the p£"£, fighting with it to gain access to resorces that I know are "open". arghhh Not a step forward by any measure. Oh dear.
gshaw Posted April 29, 2008 Posted April 29, 2008 XP will run 10x better than Vista on the same hardware - no real advantages to using it so unless you've got a plan to go Vista in the next year I wouldn't bother...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now