Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Went for an interview at Ilkeston School in Derbyshire yesterday but decided it wasnt right for me :D

 

I was just wondering (as some of us had chatted about coming on Edugeek at lunch) who had actually got the job.

 

Well thats if the person who got it comes on here :D

 

Strange thread I know I was just wondering.....

Posted

What's even stranger is that I'm replying... just accidentally found this post in a Google search! I'm the Head of Faculty btw.

 

Anyway the job went to Matthew. I only spoke to him for a few minutes but he seemed pretty clued-up. He'll need to be; Nick is a tough act to follow!

 

Which one are you?

Posted

Hi there,

 

Thanks for the reply and thanks for a great day at the school.

 

I am the one that decided to back out - I had a feeling that matthew would be the one to get it. :D

 

Congratulations to him.

 

If you ever have a well paid job going that has a little less leadership give me a shout :D

Posted
Hi there,

 

Thanks for the reply and thanks for a great day at the school.

 

I am the one that decided to back out - I had a feeling that matthew would be the one to get it. :D

 

Congratulations to him.

 

If you ever have a well paid job going that has a little less leadership give me a shout :D

 

You backed out ?! Who do you think you are, Katie from last year's apprentice. ;)

 

When did you tell them you didn't want the job....before, during or after the interview ? I'm just curious, as i don't know what i'd do if i got to the late stages of a recruitment process and felt the job really wasn't something i wanted to do.

 

I've always thought it better to wait until the job is offred, in other words keep you're options open right until the yay or nay bit....that way you can explain why you can't accept they're offer of employment, and they can offer it to the 2nd best candidate. No harm done.

 

By telling them before they've made a decision you are restricting you're options....and it's only something i'd do if i had serious misgivings about taking the job.

 

I'm sure they appreciated you're honesty, i'm guessign you told them at the end of you're interview. That would have been the right time.

Posted

At interviews we always ask if folks are still a firm candidate at the start of the interview. By that time they've had all the talks, meetings and tours of the school etc. I've only had one person pull out then.

 

As a manager I'd rather someone told me then than wait til I'd decided I want them. Often I have had only 1 appointable candidate in a shortlist and it would irk me more if I offered them the job and they said no rather than pulling out early on.

Posted

It was half way through the day - after the 4 initial short interviews were over and before the bigger Formal interview took place.

 

We were given the opportunity to decide if we wanted to go onto the final formal interview, which is when I backed out.

 

I backed out because I am very happy where I am at present (only the thoughts of BSF in 2-3 years time is worrying me about the future) and the job had alot more leadership which I was uncertain I could manage to the schools and my own level.

Posted
As someone who has been on both sides of the fence, conducting interviews and going through interviews, my view is that if it doesn't feel right then make your mind up what you want to do. I hated going through post interview, deciding on a candidate, offering them a job only for them to come back and say they didn't want it. I pulled out of consideration for a post last summer after the interview, and was thanked for being honest with them, and saving them work. Interviews are hard for candidates, but they are also a lot of work for those conducting the interviews.
Posted (edited)
At interviews we always ask if folks are still a firm candidate at the start of the interview. By that time they've had all the talks, meetings and tours of the school etc. I've only had one person pull out then.

 

As a manager I'd rather someone told me then than wait til I'd decided I want them. Often I have had only 1 appointable candidate in a shortlist and it would irk me more if I offered them the job and they said no rather than pulling out early on.

 

If you've only got only one appointable candidate for a position you're banking on them not having a family crisis or all sorts of issues that can alter a persons personal circumstances after interview or after verbal acceptance, that's in addition to the possibility that they might get cold feet and decline...i'm not sure how a candidate declining after being offered the job is any different than the only suitable canidate telling you before the interview stage - other than you're less irked. You've still got the same problem after interviews in that you can't offer the position to those that are left, becuase you're school isn't paying enough to entice the right calibre of candidates.

 

You should be irked at why you're left in a situation whereby you're left with only 1 suitable candidate, rather than with the candidate who's rejected the offer of employment after you've made the decision. After all, they might have very good reasons for rejecting at the last minute. It's not unknown for people to be caught in a dilemma even after the interviews are over unable to make a decision then and there. It's not clever of them to jeopardise they're chances by telling the interview panel they were in two minds. It is possible to be too honest i feel.

Edited by torledo
Posted
I've had a few interesting things come my way recently but when I pulled out I always explained why, leaving the door open for future applications or possibly different roles.
Posted
I've turned one down before and lived to regret it :( But the pressure to decide as it was a fine line of difference in role, fine was a bit more pay but there was still not a 110% guarentee I'd get what I was wanting, but I know that I would have done if I'd have gone :( But I just couldn't decide in the time needed so I explained that.
Posted

It could be worse...

 

Teachers are expected to decide then and there if they want the job if they're offered it. You can't wait a couple of days to see how the interview for the other job you were interested in (but was later) will go..

 

I understand the rational but it does seem rather "unique" and makes the whole process even harder.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...