LPW Posted October 22, 2018 Posted October 22, 2018 Hi All, Long time lurker and this is the second account I've used on this site as I have left my previous job to work a new one. I work in a school with challenging kids who like to destroy everything. We are about to redo a small room as an IT Suite and I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendation for desks with computers that can be locked away behind a door only giving the students access to a power button and a USB slot of USB drives. I am also wondering if there are desks which I can mount a screen behind some protective glass/plastic otherwise I am tempted to go for the desks which the monitors can go down into when not in use. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
TomFreeman Posted October 22, 2018 Posted October 22, 2018 I'd have a look at TopTec, we had some stuff from there for a room like this some time ago.
christhetech Posted October 22, 2018 Posted October 22, 2018 I used to look after a couple of PRUs in a previous job. I can also vouch for Dalen (Top-Tec) as a suitable solution. Not the cheapest out there, but their enclosures are extremely robust and will withstand a massive amount of abuse. If you are looking to mount monitors behind a plastic or safety glass. You could also consider a kiosk type set-up. Just be aware that the inlaid stainless steel keyboards on kiosks tend not to fare so well when one of the little darlings decides to pour nail varnish or superglue into them.
SamanthaD Posted October 22, 2018 Posted October 22, 2018 +1 for TopTec. Although we don't have the same situation you do, their kit is about as secure as you can get and withstand a fair amount of abuse! Or have the PC's in a secure cupboard and have VGA / HDMI over Cat5 to the monitor, with USB as well, effectively giving them a dumb terminal? User experience will be the same, just removes the base unit from the equation.
LPW Posted October 22, 2018 Author Posted October 22, 2018 Thanks for the help, guys. I'll get into contact with TopTec and see what they offer. Sadly we don't have the space to do that solution, Sam. Thanks though
Meldrew Posted October 22, 2018 Posted October 22, 2018 Do you need USB? You can do a lot of damage to a PC by shorting out an available USB connector. We've certainly had a few mainboards toasted by this method. Meldrew
PotNoodleTech Posted October 23, 2018 Posted October 23, 2018 You'll generally spend much more on the furniture than you will on the PCs you want to protect, so is it really worth it?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now