Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I run XP home on my school machines unless the machine happens to come with XP Pro.

 

Since I don't run them as domain clients and just use the server for DNS/DHCP/File and Printer sharing it makes no difference and I've never had a problem.

 

Now, maybe one day, one dark, dark, dark, day (if my campaign to extend the selling of pre-installed XP fails :( ) I'll have to use a Vista machine :(

 

Will it make any difference which one I use, or will I happily get away with the cheapest :)

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted
I run XP home on my school machines unless the machine happens to come with XP Pro.

 

Since I don't run them as domain clients and just use the server for DNS/DHCP/File and Printer sharing it makes no difference and I've never had a problem.

 

Now, maybe one day, one dark, dark, dark, day (if my campaign to extend the selling of pre-installed XP fails :( ) I'll have to use a Vista machine :(

 

Will it make any difference which one I use, or will I happily get away with the cheapest :)

 

You will for a very short period, likely, be able to get away with the cheapest. However, with the government plans to introduce single sign-on across schools, the introduction of MLEs and VLEs and other individualised systems, the introduction of BSF etc... You will end up using XP Pro or Vista Business/Enterprise.

 

How do you manage without individual logins?

Posted
How do you manage without individual logins?

 

Very well thank you :)

 

I just have everyone accessing one huge shared folder with subfolders for staff and pupil work.:eek:

 

Obvious downside is no real barrier to pupils/staff mucking up the file/folder structure of others. But I've never had an incident in 5 years across 12 schools of anyone deliberately doing this so I've been very lucky :)

 

Upside is no effort required to secure or manage the computers. None of my schools has 1:1 pupil access to suites/laptops so they have to share - with individual logons you can't easily save work in 2 home folders.

 

I mitigate against complete anarchy by having my own logon screen that asks pupils which class they are in and maps P: to their sub-folder. That limits the damage to their own class. It leaves the teachers to take the blame if one class folder end up inside another ones!

 

(This was based upon the way, ChrisH, in his previous life, introduced me to a system with each class having their own different drive letters)

 

Other primary techs use class logons but that requires all PCs to be XP Pro. (Home costs £30/pc less than pro so I considered it a worthwhile saving)

 

This system allows you to have any computer (Win98/Linux/W2k3 etc) as the file server.

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted
Isn't there something in the license agreement about using XP Home in a 'corporate' environment?

 

Maybe there isn't, who knows!

 

Your not allowed to add Home to a domain, you can connect to a server if you have CAL's

Posted

I prefer not to think about the Vista versions outside of business and enterprise.

 

I'd rather not read about the features i don't want in the other 5 'versions' LOL.

Posted
Your not allowed to add Home to a domain, you can connect to a server if you have CAL's

 

You cannot add Home to a domain at all!!!

 

If you wish to use Vista, use Home Premium or better. Home Basic is an understatement. It really is basic and a waste of a version altogether!

Posted

XP Home -> Vista Home Premium

XP Pro -> Vista Business

 

Ignore Home Basic, Corporate and Ultimate. The first one is useless to you, you can't get the second and the third is overkill.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
You cannot add Home to a domain at all!!!

 

If you wish to use Vista, use Home Premium or better. Home Basic is an understatement. It really is basic and a waste of a version altogether!

 

I know that, but you can still access server shares

Posted

You can, but I'm sure you'll agree Vista Home Basic and Premium are better suited to Workgroups.

 

In the majority of situations, Vista Business would be considered XP Pro's upgrade, but of course there's Vista Ultimate too. Either of these are full domain compatible.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...