Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Posted March 22, 2017 Hi folks, Has anyone ever tried using a GPO to set a theme? I’m aware of a bug with Win 7 and Server 2008, resolved with a hotfix, but we’re using 2012 R1 with a mix of Win 7 and 10 clients. The problem I have is that the theme just doesn’t apply. I know the theme itself is fine in both 7 and 10 because I can double click on it and it applies. The GPO does have the scope for the relevant users, and Domain Computers added to it. Any ideas? Thanks
Kiest26 Posted March 22, 2017 Posted March 22, 2017 I've never used a theme but I've pushed out a screensaver and desktop background without issue 1
Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Author Posted March 22, 2017 I'm trying to set a shuffled desktop background, so a theme seems to be the only option. I know the theme works, because as above I can just double click the theme file and it works on multiple PCs. Perhaps the bug still exists in Win 10?
Kiest26 Posted March 22, 2017 Posted March 22, 2017 I have no idea if this would work but could you just call the theme file via a login script? 1
Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Author Posted March 22, 2017 Yes, using something like this Apply a theme from command prompt ?? - Microsoft: Windows XP Pro - Tek-Tips I'll give it a try...
Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Author Posted March 22, 2017 Looks like a simple batch file works, just with the folder and file name!
Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Author Posted March 22, 2017 Actually, I take that back. Tested on a second and third machine, Win 10 and Win 7, and it opens the themes dialog. This is something I've seen mentioned in other posts.
Gongalong Posted March 22, 2017 Author Posted March 22, 2017 I ended up using the Winaero Theme Switcher. Win 8 version seems to be fine on Win 7 and 10 Downloads / Software
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now