googlemad Posted March 3, 2017 Posted March 3, 2017 I'm trying to exterminate a 2003 server but need to find out who (if anyone) is still accessing any of the standard shared folders held on it! Is there an easy way of doing things other than messing about with Windows auditing which I've always found a bit rubbish anyway? Just need to know if someone opens either a share or a file inside a share, their computer name / username (both ideally but either or is fine!). It is part of AD if that helps
Sagima Posted March 3, 2017 Posted March 3, 2017 I think I'd just turn it off for a month and see who complains (well I'd probably just rename it so they couldn't access it and then transfer stuff once they called in about it.) Would | Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Open Files | have the info you need although that's a bit manual (sorry it's been 7-8 years since I used 2003)
penfold Posted March 3, 2017 Posted March 3, 2017 When we did this we followed the same process as @Sagima. I just looked during the day to see if anyone was accessing anything and then turned the shares off before doing the same with the server.
manc_techie Posted March 3, 2017 Posted March 3, 2017 I've used a 30 day trial of ISDecisions FileAudit to find who accesses what on shares before locking them down. You can keep the reports for reference at a later date
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now