Trapper Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 What would you recommend as the best VPN out there today? I previously used AirVPN as their pricing was good, they kept no logs and you could use the OpenVPN stack rather than some kitbashed DotNet application to connect. 1
ZeroHour Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 I am using PureVPN (shameless referral link: https://billing.purevpn.com/aff.php?aff=28437 ) although I almost went for NordVPN but I had read mixed reviews of their speed which tipped me over to PureVPN as its crazy fast. It does support openvpn but you have to configure that, the client though does have a killswitch and a few other things. Also you can add an incoming port firewall as well as dedicated ip (you can switch between dedi ip and random ip). I have heard from others NordVPN's speeds are better than reported in reviews though.
difinity Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com on my devices.
SLS_ Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 Third time I write this reply... Grr @edugeek App {every time I go to edit a post, it deletes it!} Anyway, on topic: +1 for PrivateInternetAccess I also use PIA it keeps no logs, includes kill switch, their app is just a wrapper around OpenVPN, price includes 5 devices, and it supports everything I have: Android, Apple, Linux, Windows. Speed for me currently: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results Downside: Because the app runs at login on Windows PC it means that if you use kill switch you have no internet access until it's connected - which can be annoying.
ellsandell Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 I have been playing with Striesand, with it being hosted elsewhere (DO/Vultr, AWS etc). (Can deploy onto any VPS) Really impressed.
jinnantonnixx Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 (edited) I have been playing with Striesand, with it being hosted elsewhere (DO/Vultr, AWS etc). (Can deploy onto any VPS) Really impressed. That looks really interesting. What service are you running it on? What sort of costs are involved? (I hate surprise bills) I found this recent article about Streisand and it suggests out-of-plan data costs are $0.01 per GB which is peanuts. Streisand - setting up a secure, private and totally free VPN | Blog | devops.host Edited February 2, 2017 by jinnantonnixx
ZeroHour Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 Third time I write this reply... Grr @edugeek App {every time I go to edit a post, it deletes it!} Just a quick q, are you using it on iOS or Android? Also is it up to date?
ellsandell Posted February 2, 2017 Posted February 2, 2017 Completely depends on the VPS service you choose. Recently used Vultr which was running on their base $5 a month VPS. (Which I got for free for a couple of months using a discount code) 1
SLS_ Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 (edited) @ZeroHour Apologies, I've looked again and it's not the Edugeek app I'm using, it's the mobile version of the website. I am using Android. - Just checked again, and the behaviour is that no matter where I tap on the "edit post" page, it clicks the delete post button. Edited February 3, 2017 by SLS_
Ant Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 (edited) Third time I write this reply... Grr @edugeek App {every time I go to edit a post, it deletes it!} Anyway, on topic: +1 for PrivateInternetAccess I also use PIA it keeps no logs, includes kill switch, their app is just a wrapper around OpenVPN, price includes 5 devices, and it supports everything I have: Android, Apple, Linux, Windows. Speed for me currently: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results Downside: Because the app runs at login on Windows PC it means that if you use kill switch you have no internet access until it's connected - which can be annoying. Like @difinity and @SLS_, another PIA user here and have been for a couple of years now for same reasons as above. Also have it configured on my router as a permanent connection, so if a device is connected using another SSID, it goes through PIA. Edited February 3, 2017 by Ant
tmoon-mint Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 Big fan of TunnelBear. Have it on all my devices and it has features such as VigilantBear which stops all network traffic if connection to the VPN is lost and GhostBear which disguises VPN traffic as regular internet traffic. Cost me £40 for the year which is very good in my opinion. 1
Spl1t Posted February 6, 2017 Posted February 6, 2017 I also use PureVPN, it's a nice simple application to use.
gtg93 Posted February 6, 2017 Posted February 6, 2017 +1 for Private Internet Access. Good speed, good price, lots of locations to choose from and they claim to keep no logs.
manc_techie Posted February 6, 2017 Posted February 6, 2017 I use Overplay to access UK TV services in Germany, works a treat on Android too
ZeroHour Posted February 9, 2017 Posted February 9, 2017 I am tempted to do some bench-marking, I have now got 1gb net and I am going to run some tests so if anyone wants their tested they can pm me.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now