TheRobins Posted October 13, 2016 Posted October 13, 2016 Morning All, Been having an issue for a while with Office 2013 regarding opening of files from network shares. Class of 30 in one of the ICT suites wants to open the same document to read/look at, first 1 or 2 open very quickly then everyone else comes to a grinding halt. Obviously this could be an issue caused by locking of the files. I have advised the IT teachers if they plan on using word documents such as this, save them as template files to make life easier and save anyone saving accidentally. Sadly this hasn't stopped the issue. I recently added new PC's to one room and naturally upgraded to 2016. Issues still occur. This happens for all office applications including access. Other files such as PDF's and other software we use does not suffer any issues at all, pinpointing office as the possible cause. Not much documentation around this issue as far as I can see. Specs on the network, File Server - Server 2012R2 as a VM, 10GB backbone to Host server and 10GB to SAN. VM has a 10GB backbone to core switch in IT Block, Switches in IT Rooms are fed by 4GB of teamed ethernet to HP1910 48 port switches. PC's are latest Core i3's with SSD's and 1Gb Lan. We do run Sophos but i'm not one for disabling file scanning, never had a virus in 9 years and do not want one. I am sure there must simple GPO fix for this one, sadly not found it yet. Thanks all,
Sagima Posted October 13, 2016 Posted October 13, 2016 Ah I don't have that many windows 7 computers to test with although I think I might try it with windows 10 tomorrow and see if I get the same problem. Can you try and open them from a share on another server or PC? Ideally one not running 2012r2 if you have it. I would try disabling av on the client and server one at a time (then both) just for a coupe of minutes as if it solves it completely you might be able to get a fix from sophos.
TheRobins Posted October 13, 2016 Author Posted October 13, 2016 I had disabled on access scanning on the file server (tend to run this on file servers) and didn't make much of a difference. I will try with pupil machines, trying to find a class willing to give me 5 minutes and having them all click on a file isn't easy. Ill see if one of the lunchtime clubs will do it for me. I must admit when I was RDP onto the file server when this issue occurred it also didn't want to let me access those documents directly, which was strange. At that point however I could access any other folder or file easily. Time to ask staff for some of their time, wish me luck.
Sagima Posted October 13, 2016 Posted October 13, 2016 I was going to use LanSchool to open the files simultaneously - do you have something similar or something that allows en-masse remote control? (impero / ab tutor). good luck
TheRobins Posted October 13, 2016 Author Posted October 13, 2016 Unfortunately not, we using NetOpsVision which allows singular control but not mass, The IT club geeks will be more than willing i'm sure.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now