mullet_man Posted August 31, 2016 Posted August 31, 2016 Some machines not very long, others it's taken over a day!!!!! Pete This one is still struggling. At 100% at the minute. It's showing as having 4 updates in error on WSUS.
mullet_man Posted August 31, 2016 Posted August 31, 2016 Finally it's updated, after a couple of reboots and leaving on for a few hours. Am happy it will get there eventually until the reported fix for this issue. Less stressed about that now. Thanks.
FragglePete Posted September 1, 2016 Author Posted September 1, 2016 Interestingly, update KB3176938 which was released yesterday is showing on my machines trying to install. Appears to be a re-release so hopefully a few more fixes are in place. Windows 10 KB3176938 gets re-released for better system reliability Pete
mullet_man Posted September 1, 2016 Posted September 1, 2016 Yeah it fixes the black desktop issue apparently. Am still having issues with my updates, might just point them to download off the internet for a week or so until the fix is released.
disk Posted September 2, 2016 Posted September 2, 2016 If you see it again and don't feel like waiting, I have found the built-in Window Update Troubleshooter to work quite well. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update 1
abaxter2 Posted September 3, 2016 Posted September 3, 2016 Hi all, Just another quick update: I have found that any device that has not reported a status for a few days (gray triangle in WSUS) and you know that machine has been on then you are looking at a possible rebuild :-( I have found that if you try installing the updates manually and if successful after a couple of reboots the device will start seeing new updates and install updates but if you are see the following message when you sign in: "C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. if the location is on a network make sure you're connected to the network or internente, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted." If you see this message you will need to rebuild as gone past a fixable stage. So keeping an eye on your "Last Status Report" in your WSUS will at least give you an idea of machines that are going belly up. The other thing I have found is that the update to fix this problem is coming on 13/09/2016 (patch Tuesday): "To clarify, scenario #2 is a problem with the Windows Update client when it downloads from WSUS, and it affects all updates (not just cumulative). Service crashes are expected when this occurs; however, because it is nondeterministic, the download should eventually succeed. Alternatively, you can have your clients scan against Windows Update directly, or download and install directly from the Microsoft Update Catalog. A fix is scheduled for September's Patch Tuesday (9/13). Given the bootstrapping issue that some have mentioned, you may want to deploy the September cumulative update directly to expedite resolution." But it does look like it will need a manual install! I have also found that most of my machine with the latest updates (including KB3176934 and update KB3176936 are installing the august 31st update KB3176938 fine but still early days! It is to late for me to go back as my school starts up again this coming Monday and all my machines are built but I can see myself burning the midnight oil for a few more weeks yet. Fingers crossed the up and coming update on the 13th of this month does at long last put this issue to bed. 1
FN-GM Posted September 5, 2016 Posted September 5, 2016 I have found a pattern. When a users password expires and they change it bang the profile issue hits. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks
mullet_man Posted September 5, 2016 Posted September 5, 2016 I have found a pattern. When a users password expires and they change it bang the profile issue hits. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks Yes today new staff member with password change on logon, the laptop then came to issue with no desktop as abaxter mentions above. Log out and back in and it's fine. I've seen the no desktop error a few times now and don't know if it's exactly to do with a password change but I've not seen it on laptops with all the latest updates. Am hoping a rebuild isn't needed and it's due to the missing updates.
FN-GM Posted October 30, 2016 Posted October 30, 2016 Hello @mullet_man and anyone else did you have a fix for this please? Thanks
mullet_man Posted October 30, 2016 Posted October 30, 2016 I haven't seen the error since I reimaged student machines nor I have seen it on staff machines. I think having the latest updates does solve the issue. Although just because I've not seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, still getting printers that are not installing but it's not as often now. Each update makes it a lot more stable it seems.
abaxter2 Posted October 30, 2016 Posted October 30, 2016 I can second that with the latest build I'm no longer seeing this issue and that build 1607 is getting more stable with each new build.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now