sidewinder Posted February 13, 2008 Posted February 13, 2008 I have never had a clue how to do this. It seems to be required by various pieces of software so its getting to the point where I do need to know Whenever I try and find help, it all goes over my head. I understand what a transform does, and how to apply it, but I can never find a guide on how to create one! Surely it can be done in some way without additional software? Or with free software? The only MSI software I have is Winstall LE which after reading on here somewhere, apparantly doesnt do it what do I need?? Im trying to deploy Java at the minute and it says: "If you want to register the JRE as the default virtual machine of Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and Netscape browsers, you will have to create a transform that sets the variables IEXPLORER, MOZILLA, and NETSCAPE6 to 1 in the Property.idt table. " Tables? I always thought MST's were just text files with certain options in them? Is the above easy to do if you have the software?
SYNACK Posted February 13, 2008 Posted February 13, 2008 (edited) You are after Orca which is in the windows SDK its a free bit of software from MS that will allow you to either directly edit the MSI or create a transform for an existing one. Edited February 13, 2008 by SYNACK
sidewinder Posted February 13, 2008 Author Posted February 13, 2008 Cheers! I downloaded Orca a while ago but didnt have a clue how to use it...lol So I just load the MSI up in it, then I can find the table that those values are in, and edit it?
SYNACK Posted February 13, 2008 Posted February 13, 2008 Pretty much, it you want to do it as a transform then you just need to go to the Transform menu and click new transform after you have opened the msi and before you edit anything.
sidewinder Posted February 27, 2008 Author Posted February 27, 2008 OK Ive finally got round to doing this but I cant actually find Orca anywhere, must have deleted it. What makes it worse is that the MS link must be broken This should be it http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en but it doesnt work Does anyone have the SDK they could upload?
SYNACK Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 I should be able to send you the orca msi file but I'm not sure of the rules regarding posting it to this site. If you want PM me with an email address.
ajbritton Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 Download ORCA here: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/Orca.zip
powdarrmonkey Posted February 27, 2008 Posted February 27, 2008 Some major software such as Office will have its own tools (eg the office resource kit) to create transforms quickly.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now