TaylorHope Posted May 13, 2016 Posted May 13, 2016 Hi, I work in a school and just last year we purchased MinecraftEDU for the students. Before the previous technician worked here he set up MinecraftEDU on private Minecraft user accounts. Unfortunately we have moved it from our admin server which contains all the students and staff data to a dedicated server I have set up myself as we didn't want to be giving out the IP address of our main server. I allocated the computers a static IP and once everything was installed I tested the server on several machines. This is where everything started to get frustrating, when I typed in the server IP I just get 'Can't connect to server' with a red X. This was all confusing as I have pinged the IP address which was successful so there I knew it was not an internet issue. We have a RM Network and Smoothwall filtering system, I'm not sure if the Smoothwall is blocking anything from running which is then preventing students connecting to the server. We are running MinecraftEDU 1.7.10 (I don't have the best knowledge on minecraft) If anyone has any ideas into why I am unable to connect to my server please please please help me as I want to get this back up and running for my students. Thanks
DJ-1701 Posted May 13, 2016 Posted May 13, 2016 Silly question time. What port are you using? Are you sure it's unblocked on the server? If you are using just the IP address in the client, what happens when you type the IPAddress:PortNumber?
TaylorHope Posted May 13, 2016 Author Posted May 13, 2016 We just want to set up a LAN server does this still require a port?
ADMaster Posted May 13, 2016 Posted May 13, 2016 Try disabling the firewall on the server, if that works then turn it back on and add the correct exceptions. Same with the clients is java permitted through the firewall?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now