StuartC Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 [Promethean hat off] I'm actually thinking of taking the MCSE certification for work, I think it would help with a few of the big sites we have to deal with. I think a few more techs in the world would appreciate it if the person coming in to look for problems on their systems actually had a commercial certification. I already have HND/Degree in Computer Studies/Multimedia Systems and have a lot of experience managing networks (Windows/Mac with a little experience with Linux workstations) and feel I'm technical enough to jump in. Probably not as comfortably as you guys who work with server 2003 every day, but should have a shot. Can anyone give me any advice, or recommend anywhere in Lancashire for training? Prefferably not in Manchester. Can anyone tell me if personal study and taking the exams alone is any better?
localzuk Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 Lancaster University do some MS training http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ictfocus/courses/ 1
StuartC Posted February 5, 2008 Author Posted February 5, 2008 Lancaster University do some MS training http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ictfocus/courses/ hmmm, tempting. So I take that course then I pick my exams and take them at a local center. However the course description looks a bit generalised, anyone got any feedback of Lancaster college? Looks like they might not be on the ball on this one. I love this line: "Particular emphasis is given to using decision-making and problem-solving techniques to solve systems design, development and implementation problems." So hang on, they used problem solving techniques to solve problems, well dang naggit they're onto something there.
Geoff Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 Also beware, make sure your doing a W2k8/Vista MSCE course. Otherwise you'll have a worthless bit of paper in a year or two.
Dos_Box Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 (edited) hmmm, tempting. So I take that course then I pick my exams and take them at a local center. However the course description looks a bit generalised, anyone got any feedback of Lancaster college? Looks like they might not be on the ball on this one. I love this line: "Particular emphasis is given to using decision-making and problem-solving techniques to solve systems design, development and implementation problems." So hang on, they used problem solving techniques to solve problems, well dang naggit they're onto something there. It's not Lancaster College, but Lancaster UNIVERSITY! I have sone several of these courses (CASA, NASA and started CANE) and they are fantastic and non platform specific. They alsot have the advantage of being academically recognised (each course is the equivelent of 2 A levels IIRC). Just one day a month at the uni and the rest done as home study. Well worth the money. Edited February 5, 2008 by ChrisH 1
StuartC Posted February 5, 2008 Author Posted February 5, 2008 (edited) It's not Lancaster College, but Lancaster UNIVERSITY! I have sone several of these courses (CASA, NASA and started CANE) and they are fantastic and non platform specific. They alsot have the advantage of being academically recognised (each course is the equivelent of 2 A levels IIRC). Just one day a month at the uni and the rest done as home study. Well worth the money. Lol, yes, I was browsing the site of a college at the same time I think my best bet might be to go to this course, and to swot up big style on the specific books/cds alongside it. Then of course go for the exams when I'm ready for each one. Does that sound like a plan? Edited February 5, 2008 by ChrisH
monty Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 Also beware, make sure your doing a W2k8/Vista MSCE course. Otherwise you'll have a worthless bit of paper in a year or two. The win2k8 exams are not out yet, and won't be till closer to the release date, any that are running now are preview courses, there are no win2k8 exams yet. 2003 would be a safe bet for now and they will likely allow an upgrade exam to 2008 when it is released the same way they did from 2000 to 2003. You are allowed winxp or Vista as the workstation part of the qualification, it's up to you to decide which is the most beneficial, as not many places use vista yet, but it may take off after SP1, mind you there's still places using 2000 or earlier. And Microsoft tend to allow the certification to run for a long time e.g. The NT4 MCSE, was going to be retired and decertify those that had it but has been reinstated. I've already done the MCSE on 2000, but I've just qualified as an MCT and to teach the 2003 courses I have to take everyone of the exams again so can't just do the upgrade. By the way I've found that some people think the Microsoft courses are easy until they do one themselves, you do have to work for them.
StuartC Posted February 5, 2008 Author Posted February 5, 2008 The win2k8 exams are not out yet, and won't be till closer to the release date, any that are running now are preview courses, there are no win2k8 exams yet. 2003 would be a safe bet for now and they will likely allow an upgrade exam to 2008 when it is released the same way they did from 2000 to 2003. You are allowed winxp or Vista as the workstation part of the qualification, it's up to you to decide which is the most beneficial, as not many places use vista yet, but it may take off after SP1, mind you there's still places using 2000 or earlier. And Microsoft tend to allow the certification to run for a long time e.g. The NT4 MCSE, was going to be retired and decertify those that had it but has been reinstated. I've already done the MCSE on 2000, but I've just qualified as an MCT and to teach the 2003 courses I have to take everyone of the exams again so can't just do the upgrade. By the way I've found that some people think the Microsoft courses are easy until they do one themselves, you do have to work for them. Does anyone have any thoughts on self study alone with some good books/cds and then submitting for exams privately?
Joanne Posted February 5, 2008 Posted February 5, 2008 train signal videos are good. have a look for those on the internet. Someone using camtasia type footage, runnig you through what happens and stuff. Very good if you like to see what you have to do. Get some virtual machines going and follow along!
StuartC Posted February 6, 2008 Author Posted February 6, 2008 If it's any help to anyone I'm using the testout series of CDs along with a server/workstation setup of my own to go through things. It feels really good, obviously this is an early opinion but felt it needed recommending. http://www.testout.com/
localzuk Posted February 6, 2008 Posted February 6, 2008 I just bought the MS course books and am working through them...
monty Posted February 7, 2008 Posted February 7, 2008 You can do the course yourself from books, you just have to make sure that you're disciplined enough to do it. Plus, I'm not sure if Microsoft have sorted it yet, but it is a different team who write the MCSE books from those that write the exams so sometimes you may come up against something in the exam that you haven't studied in the books. It's well worth getting a few old machines together and setting up your own little network that you don't mind breaking often. And if you do go for the exams remember that Microsoft will be looking for the 'Microsoft answer', not necessarily the easiest or quickest one.
ricki Posted February 7, 2008 Posted February 7, 2008 HI Have you heard Pearson Vue the company that used to provide the exams for microsoft are no longer giving the exams and you have to go through a company called Prometric. Richard:confused:
monty Posted February 7, 2008 Posted February 7, 2008 yea, Sylvan prometric, not got as many locations as well. I read that Pearson were not happy about it and had no indication that the exams were to be taken from them. I had a technician due to take an exam with Pearson, luckily they honoured all previously booked exams.
cookie_monster Posted March 13, 2008 Posted March 13, 2008 Apparently Pearson were blamed for several question leaks so MS ditched them. MS press books are pretty good but without doubt some of the best exam prep at the end is the Exam Cram books.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now