Davit2005 Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 We need to re-build our DHCP server but just wondering what impact this will have on WDS and OS deployment. We have multiple vLANS so we are aware of needing to do the IP addresses on the helpers if need be. We will have to export the DHCP database and then import on the new DHCP server which shouldn't be a problem. Anyone done this before??
Norphy Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 As long as the new DHCP server has the same IP address as the old and/or you change your IP helpers to reflect the IP address of your new DHCP, WDS shouldn't give a monkeys. Unless WDS is hosted on your current DHCP server, in which case you'll need to remove options 66 and 67. 1
theeggmaster Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 Yes, I did this last summer, following these instructions. Where it says to uninstall the DHCP service from the old server, I just stopped the service so I could spin it back up again if the migration failed. I used a new IP address for the DHCP server, and our WDS server didn't have a problem. We are on a flat network currently, though. 1
Davit2005 Posted March 1, 2016 Author Posted March 1, 2016 Yes, I did this last summer, following these instructions. Where it says to uninstall the DHCP service from the old server, I just stopped the service so I could spin it back up again if the migration failed. I used a new IP address for the DHCP server, and our WDS server didn't have a problem. We are on a flat network currently, though. I remember doing this between 2003 & 2008 R2 a few years back and it was far easier than that, why is it MS seem to over complicate things.
Arthur Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 We have multiple vLANS so we are aware of needing to do the IP addresses on the helpers if need be. deploymentbunny.com/2016/02/29/osd-how-make-pxe-work-in-configmgr-osd-mdt-and-wds-work-perfectly-fine-stop-using-dhcp-option-66-67/
theeggmaster Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 I remember doing this between 2003 & 2008 R2 a few years back and it was far easier than that, why is it MS seem to over complicate things. Yes, I re-read it and checked against other sites, and it did look over the top, but when you're actually doing it, it's much simpler. I used that guide as it was in a series of guides I was following when retiring our Server 2003 DCs and creating new DCs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now