fiza Posted February 26, 2016 Posted February 26, 2016 When a SIMS user goes to Focus>Assessment>Individual Report and then selects a report there is a "word template" button which normally then launches the report into Word. When the user clicks the button word does not open, only the "save" and "undo" buttons come to life (they were greyed out). This is on a machine with a newly created image (windows 7, Office 2013 etc). On our old image it works fine. The new image was built from scratch. It has the latest windows updates etc. Does anyone know why word would not open?
vikpaw Posted February 27, 2016 Posted February 27, 2016 Check processes and see if it actually has opened in the background. Maybe check macro security. Office updates. Are regular report templates affected as well? Can you do it as admin? They might need perms on the local drive checking..
fiza Posted February 29, 2016 Author Posted February 29, 2016 Check processes and see if it actually has opened in the background. Maybe check macro security. Office updates. Are regular report templates affected as well? Can you do it as admin? They might need perms on the local drive checking.. checked processes - not running macro security - macros disabled with notification (same as previous image) Office update - all upto date regular report templates - not sure how I check this but reports under reports>run reports work. I have checked a few that produce content in word format and they work. Can you do it as admin - no. permissions - the usual sims permissions have been applied to local drive. I have checked word options on a machine with the new image compared with a machine on the old image and all settings are the same.
vikpaw Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 If it's an exact match of previous images then it's very strange. I'd say go through the Capita document for Office foibles which lists all the Office settings to tweak - but if the existing image works, then it should jus twork if nothing has changed. Possibly worth just completely uninstalling SIMS, rename the sims folder and then re-add, failing that, re-image again...
bobsmith Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 something i didn't spot in the thread so far.... does Word open normally on this new machine?
fiza Posted March 1, 2016 Author Posted March 1, 2016 If it's an exact match of previous images then it's very strange. I'd say go through the Capita document for Office foibles which lists all the Office settings to tweak - but if the existing image works, then it should jus twork if nothing has changed. Possibly worth just completely uninstalling SIMS, rename the sims folder and then re-add, failing that, re-image again... Its not an exact match as such. Its a brand new build from scratch. - - - Updated - - - something i didn't spot in the thread so far.... does Word open normally on this new machine? Word does open normally
thorpen Posted March 10, 2016 Posted March 10, 2016 We are experiencing this problem today. We think it is something to do with the individual reports being an XML document, and the XML Handler program being missing from the new machine.
vikpaw Posted March 10, 2016 Posted March 10, 2016 It should be the Microsoft xml editor I think. It should be part of office. Maybe the association is being taken over by another app or it is associated to Excel and therefore the word type files won't open. 1
soveryapt Posted March 10, 2016 Posted March 10, 2016 I had this a while back. Here's a photo of the notes I got sent by Lancashire. Hope it helps Andy 2
fiza Posted March 11, 2016 Author Posted March 11, 2016 It should be the Microsoft xml editor I think. It should be part of office. Maybe the association is being taken over by another app or it is associated to Excel and therefore the word type files won't open. Just checked mine and .xml files are associated with the Office XML Handler.
fiza Posted March 11, 2016 Author Posted March 11, 2016 I had this a while back. Here's a photo of the notes I got sent by Lancashire. [ATTACH=CONFIG]35518[/ATTACH] Hope it helps Andy Tried those settings : do dice
Mollycat13 Posted March 11, 2016 Posted March 11, 2016 I had this problem and it was to do with microsoft and word compatibility mode. The following link sorted mine. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734 1
fiza Posted March 11, 2016 Author Posted March 11, 2016 I had this problem and it was to do with microsoft and word compatibility mode. The following link sorted mine. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734 Thanks for the pointer but I just checked the machine and this update is already installed.
vikpaw Posted March 11, 2016 Posted March 11, 2016 Logged a ticket? Something in the new image must be conflicting. Did you try a fresh install of sims? What version of office was on the old image? Put that on and then upgrade it. Or start a new image and experiment.
thorpen Posted March 14, 2016 Posted March 14, 2016 Just fixed ours I think. I opened an old saved individual report (we upload ours to linked documents in SIMS). It asked me what I wanted to open it with, and XML Handler was in the list. After I'd done this, individual reports open and print without any issue.
fiza Posted March 14, 2016 Author Posted March 14, 2016 Logged a ticket? Something in the new image must be conflicting. Did you try a fresh install of sims? What version of office was on the old image? Put that on and then upgrade it. Or start a new image and experiment. I did a repair on Office 2013, rebooted and now it seems to work. I didn't think it was an issue with the Office install as everything else about Office worked fine. 1
vikpaw Posted March 14, 2016 Posted March 14, 2016 Random library files can get corrupted, overwritten, lost, ignored etc. Glad it's working again. ) We better add that high up in the flow chart for next time 1
coolhands Posted January 6, 2021 Posted January 6, 2021 I had this a while back. Here's a photo of the notes I got sent by Lancashire. [ATTACH=CONFIG]35518[/ATTACH] Hope it helps Andy Hi those setting just helped me in 2021! My macros had become disabled recently for some reason (red). the little tick box trusted locations solved it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now