Rob_D Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 (edited) Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm looking at upgrading the backups for my servers and I'm after some advise/ best practises/ what you do, regarding how backups are run. At the moment the backup software sits on the server being backed up, "pushing" backups to remote drives/servers. Would changing to a system where the backup software and task are run from the remote computer "pulling" the backups off the live server be beneficial/recommended? Thanks guys! Edited February 9, 2016 by elsiegee40
smithson83 Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 I would of thought pushing the backup to a remote machine would be better. The backup software would be "aware" of services etc running on the Server to be backed up, VSS, SQL, Exhange, DeDupe etc, this may not be the case when pulling the backup to a remote machine. 1
localzuk Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 Many "pull" backup setups use agents so have visibility of services etc... I'd base my decision on a couple of things - what sort of servers are you backing up? Physical, virtual etc... How many servers are you backing up? 1
Rob_D Posted February 9, 2016 Author Posted February 9, 2016 Thanks for your replies (I hand't thought of "pull" needing to know what was going on, on the other computer). At the moment it's backup for the (physical) file server. It may become 2 servers shortly, but still just backing up files/folders.
localzuk Posted February 9, 2016 Posted February 9, 2016 If it is simple files, I'd be looking at using a simple piece of software like BackupAssist to do push backup from each server. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now