Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

I have been asked by our IT Co-ordinator to run a 'Wise Geeks' club one day a week and was wondering if anyone else has been asked/runs something similar and if so, are you able to help with some ideas for projects we could run within the club?

 

The school is an SEN school so it can't be as technical as some of your main stream schools, however I don't want to bore them with the usual build/take apart a PC etc.

 

We have some good resources which include a small set of iPads, a few Raspberry Pi's and for some reason even an Xbox 360.

 

I do believe i'll have access to a small amount of the budget if there is something worth while to purchase.

 

Any ideas/inspiration would be greatly appreciated!

 

Thanks in advance!

Elliot

Posted

I used to run a Tech Club in Junior High (6-8 Grades), and I also help in High School computer science class (having a software development background).

 

The main resource I use is code.org. We just ran a very successful Hour of Code event in December in our Elementary School (K-4 grades) also using code.org resources for around 600 students.

 

Some other resources worth looking at:

 

codecombat.com

scratch.mit.edu

 

I also tried to get the kids into sketchup / 3d modeling to use a 3D Printer I managed to convince the school to purchase. I also tried sound engineering using reaper but both were way beyond were our kids are at.

 

We have lost technical staff meaning more work for me and have less time todo projects with the kids. I do want to start it back up again when I have more time.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
or perhaps the unreal engine

 

"Jimmy! Stop messing around!"

 

HEADSHOT!

 

"I told you to stop messing around. Listen next time."

 

 

[Yes... I know that's Unreal TOURNAMENT. I don't care.]

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...