owen1978 Posted December 18, 2015 Posted December 18, 2015 We are a Primary School, and have been using Veeamzip to backup our main Virtual Servers; Single Domain Controller Fileserver App Server For the Domain controller backups, the DC is shutdown backed up and started again The file server and App server are done as live backup I also do a system state backup of the DC Been reading up about VM backups, and the full version of Veeam has a feature called Application Aware backup. Veeamzip doesn't have this feature. The question I am trying to ask is that in an event of a failure to our DC, will the simply restoring the VeeamZipd backup of the DC be ok, as we have just one DC, so replication isn't and USN shouldn't be an issue right? I assume the other servers are fine just to simply restore? Nearly forget the app server has got SCCM so a live backup would not be recommended I understand as it uses exchange? So I assume in a situation like this the application aware backup is important? or simply just shutdown the app server while the backup is done?
Davit2005 Posted December 18, 2015 Posted December 18, 2015 Shouldn't need to shutdown DC and backup, Veeam (even the free version) is application aware as far as I know. I have used the free version to restore AD objects in my home environment. Since Version 8 you can use the Veeam Explorer for Active Directory for object restores which means you don't have to set up Virtual Labs. IMO I wouldn't bother doing a system state of the DC VM either because if you have a single DC you could do a whole VM recovery.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now