IT_Man_Dan Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 Morning all, I've just been informed that my SLT are considering purchasing Datasec. We currently use 4matrix alongside sims. we also have mintclass and showmyhomework. As I've just been told about this and I now have a meeting to attend about it today I was wondering if people could please let me know of the pros and cons of Datasec compared to others? I've been told that it would do the job of mintclass, show my homework, and 4 matrix which is how SLT are justifying the price tag, is this true? Any feedback that I can pass onto slt would be appreciated asap please. In the meantime I'll do some research online. Many thanks
bobsmith Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 I had a look at their website and read through this old thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/105780-datasec-data-tool-kit.html It doesn't look like it's moved on visually from when the thread was last updated in 2013!! In terms of usability 4matrix and sisra analytics seesms to have it beat - though with the caveat that I haven't used Datasec personally. Is the pricing still in the region of thousands p/a? I can't see anything on their website to suggest it does the job of mintclass or show my homework...
IT_Man_Dan Posted November 30, 2015 Author Posted November 30, 2015 Thanks for your reply @bobsmith . Yes the cost is thousands per annum. I will add your comments to an email I'll be sending management. Many thanks
Edu-IT Posted November 30, 2015 Posted November 30, 2015 I'd echo the comments about not being a replacement for mintclass or show my homework. At least it's not something I've found it does.
Iain.Faulkner Posted December 1, 2015 Posted December 1, 2015 Although I've not used either Datasec or 4Matrix on a day to day basis...our school has just removed Datasec and we are now trialling 4Matrix
bwfc_nottingham Posted December 1, 2015 Posted December 1, 2015 Dan My only experience is as follows: Datasec were keen to come and demo at our school. I said I would be the first contact point for a demo and they had to get past me first (Data Manager) before demonstrating to SLT. They kept pushing to see SLT alongside me. I asked for some pre-meeting answers to some techie questions (how it integrates into our MIS i.e. SIMS, storing of duplicate data in repositories etc. and examples of previous successful installations) I cancelled the appointment when (a) I saw the techie responses and (b) discussed the techie responses with our infrastructure / Server / network team. Just my two cents worth.
bigdannyb79 Posted December 1, 2015 Posted December 1, 2015 I would not go anywhere near it looking at that website - if that's the best showcase you can do I aint interested ! SISRA & 4Matrix are market leaders in assessment analysis for a reason - in my mind these products are not mutually exclusive though and suit different audiences. Information to support you entire workforce is critical these days and there are tools to help engage with that wide audience and looking at that dated interface this simply does not cut it in my eyes. Also no mention of any functionality on the website to support Progress 8 etc ? DataSec to do list - update product, update website . . . . 1
data_guy Posted March 12, 2016 Posted March 12, 2016 From the sales pitch it looks great and seems to cover all of the basis, there is some series gaps. As you get further into to it and wish to create more detailed reports it gets exponentially more complex. If you are really good data manager with plenty of time it is OK to use. However the amount of time needed to invest in the product is far too high and the training not sufficient to give you the start you need. Beyond creating the kind of reports you can do in assessment manager anyway it isn't very logical at all. It feels as though its been built by someone who hasn't worked in school and that each time there has been an"improvement" or "upgrade" it is a bolt on. If you have the skills the handle this software fully then you have the skills to develop your own system within the MIS itself or in a spreadsheet. If you don't you could always spend a fraction of the cost of the software £5-6k pa on getting someone in from MIST or Capita for example to build the reports that you need. The other concern I had is that the software taps in to the MIS database direct. I'm not sure if my schools sims licence would be valid. It's not something I have pushed with Capita as I didn't want to create a costly issue at our end. Suffice to say I am now using SISRA which gives me the data I need when I need it. For just over £1k it is well worth it.
data_guy Posted April 8, 2016 Posted April 8, 2016 Just to add you are looking at £5 - £6k per year for the DataSec product.
data_guy Posted June 6, 2016 Posted June 6, 2016 (edited) Sorry to pull this thread back up but there have been a few schools represented in my local IT support group that have been contacted/had a hard sell from DataSec Education. A couple of them had looked into the company and the other companies that had the same owner/director. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/4qBGTtfoXr2u2nWO_BwiLev7Ppk/appointments https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/il91Tn3kPYhhGhtYPfsvD3nno7U/appointments Edited June 6, 2016 by elsiegee40
elsiegee40 Posted June 6, 2016 Posted June 6, 2016 Sorry to pull this thread back up but there have been a few schools represented in my local IT support group that have been contacted/had a hard sell from DataSec Education. A couple of them had looked into the company and the other companies that had the same owner/director. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/4qBGTtfoXr2u2nWO_BwiLev7Ppk/appointments https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/il91Tn3kPYhhGhtYPfsvD3nno7U/appointments Rather a lot of dissolved companies there! Looks fishy! 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now