iceman Posted September 15, 2015 Posted September 15, 2015 I generate an XML file from a sims report on my work server and copy/paste it onto my laptop. Every time I do so it increases in size and a large chunk gets copied from inside the text and appended after the final closing tag - obviously making the XML unusable. The only way I can stop this is to zip the file before copy/paste. The effect is quite reproducible and seems to happen to any xml output more than a couple of hunderd lines long. Anyone any idea why this is happening and how to stop it? A snippet from one of the received files is below (with UPNs changed). See how part of a previous UPN field is appended after what should be the final tag and the last line of the file finishes part way through the tag This is a shortend version of the received file. [code] 24046 X879991678001 100.00 0 0 0 2 ... other records 23259 B879991606710 100.00 0 0 0 2 9991606724 <---- Final tag but it starts repeating records here, starting with part of a upn 100.00 0 0 0 2 22608 N879992106025 100.00 0 0 0 2 ... other records 23182 M879992106735 100.00 0 0 0
LosOjos Posted September 15, 2015 Posted September 15, 2015 Are you opening the file, selecting all the text and copying that, then pasting it elsewhere? Or are you copying and pasting the file itself?
LosOjos Posted September 15, 2015 Posted September 15, 2015 Very odd - you say you're doing this on a server, are you Copy/Pasting over RDP? The only thing I can think is there's some strange memory issue in RDP causing the file to get jumbled and perhaps zipping it brings it below the size limit before this happens? Or maybe it even handles it differently if it's not plaintext? I don't think it's a SIMS issue...
iceman Posted September 15, 2015 Author Posted September 15, 2015 I think you are right. I've just tried opening the xml on the server in Notepad (via remote connection) and it was OK. selected it all, copied it and pasted it into a new notepad file with a txt extension. copied that file and pasted it onto my laptop and the same thing happened, except the bit that got corrupted was in a different place. It could be to do with memory in the remote desktop, virtual OS thing that I connect to. I guess I'll have to speak to the ICT admin person. I won't hold my breath though, if shutting it down and restarting doesn't sort a problem then the problem can't be fixed!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now