HannahBuist Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Hello all I have a secondary school who have a new SIMS server. They have installed SOLUS3 and have it up and running successfully. However, they are unable to install the SOLUS3 agent on workstations through the UI. They have managed to do this successfully in the past. When selecting a workstation from their network, and attempting to install the agent, they get the error access denied to the remote machine. Firewall is not the issue, nor group policy settings (these have been checked). No system log or installer log are created on the workstation in question. Technician can connect to the machine via \\\c$ with the same credentials they are using in the SOLUS3 UI. They have tried local and domain admin accounts. They are able to install the agent manually, but as a big secondary school this will take a considerable amount of time, and as it has worked for them in the past they are keen to get the agent installed through the SOLUS3 UI. I have it logged with capita but have had nothing other than firewall/group policy advice as yet and the school are keen to get on. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts? Thanks
sparkeh Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Ok simple things first. When you try and install the agent are you specifying the username as 'domain\user' - just been caught out by that one (again!).
HannahBuist Posted August 26, 2015 Author Posted August 26, 2015 ^ This is the technician from the school.
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 On that note, it has been ages since I used it myself (normally the techs trigger it). Which is the correct format? I know I try both each time I change something, but would be nice to know which I should be using!
TechieWils Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 The way I was always told to do it was domain\username
sparkeh Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 (edited) Ok so another likely S3 culprit is DNS. Check that everything is correct, no stale records and everything resolves correctly, no double entries for wired and wlan etc. edit: as to the username, I've found that different formats work in different part of S3 but for deploying clients it seems to be domain\user. Edited August 26, 2015 by sparkeh
Steve21 Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 (edited) I know you said ignore firewall wise, but have you actually tested it with the firewall off? Just because you can access the share doesn't mean it'll install if the other bits are blocked still. Also can you get to http://www.capitasolus.co.uk/ ? As if it's blocked for any reason you'll get same error. (Unless they changed their URLs etc) Also proxy settings on clients allow the server bypass? As it's port 80 it connects on too Steve Edited August 26, 2015 by Steve21
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Yup, first thing I tried was killing firewall No issue connecting to http://www.capitasolus.co.uk/ on server (and I didn't know about that one) proxy.pac bypasses proxy for all internal names and IPs. But I think I am before this stage as nothing is being delivered to clients for them to then connect to server. - - - Updated - - - Anyway, time to finish up for today. Thanks for suggestions, hopefully I'll get this kicked tomorrow
ITGURU Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Have you checked the user that your entering to install the agent is a member of the local administrators group on the remote machine?
ITGURU Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 If you export the agents, I assume it installs OK manually on the workstations?
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Yes, although only if copied locally, not if run from a remote location
ITGURU Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Yes, although only if copied locally, not if run from a remote location What if you log on to the workstation as a local admin and run the installer from UNC or Mapped drive?
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Closes almost straight away, doesn't install. Unc, haven't tried mapped drive
matt40k Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Clean machine? They haven't previously had s3? WMI enabled? What AV you using, it hasn't snuck on some firewall?
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Clean machine, would need to check wmi tomorrow, but no reason to think it is disabled. Av is scep, client firewalls off
AlexB Posted August 26, 2015 Posted August 26, 2015 Just occurred to me... My answers are brief as I'm at home replying on the mobile app . Sorry if it came across badly.
Steve21 Posted August 27, 2015 Posted August 27, 2015 Run wmimgmt.msc on server, connect to remote computer that you're trying to install on, and click properties and see if it loads Steve
AlexB Posted August 27, 2015 Posted August 27, 2015 Run wmimgmt.msc on server, connect to remote computer that you're trying to install on, and click properties and see if it loads Steve I had, that's what I meant by checked
Pudding Posted August 27, 2015 Posted August 27, 2015 We have found that we can only deploy the client from the UI if the server service is enabled on the clients. As we don't have this service enabled on our PC's (and don't want to just for Solus) we install the client using a script.
matt40k Posted August 27, 2015 Posted August 27, 2015 He's already said he can get onto the workstations via UNC, so its enabled. It might be worth manually installing one workstation however and checking it can connect OK. I know I've had it before where DNS isn't 100% and the server could connect to the workstations ok, but they couldn't resolve the server correctly which causes all sorts of trouble.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now