SimpleSi Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 A friend of a friend wants a webcam for her Mac. I've no idea what sort it is but I don't think its that old but she thinks you can't get any. Help please!! I know nothing about Macs regards Simon
localzuk Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 The iSight? They don't seem to have them on the apple site, maybe they could look on ebay?
markcuk Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 you might find they are expensive on ebay sold mine for £150 a good 4 months ago.
localzuk Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 you might find they are expensive on ebay sold mine for £150 a good 4 months ago. Seems about right for one in good nick.
SimpleSi Posted January 7, 2008 Author Posted January 7, 2008 Why on earth are they not easily available - I know Mac users haven't got the brains to deal with a mouse with more than one button :-) but are they too ugly to use webcams as well? :-) regards Simon
localzuk Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 Why on earth are they not easily available - I know Mac users haven't got the brains to deal with a mouse with more than one button :-) but are they too ugly to use webcams as well? :-) regards Simon 1. Mac mice now have 4 buttons, and the lack of buttons was based on the idea of KISS... 2. The iSight was withdrawn (in Dec. 2006) as all new mac's come with one built in.
SimpleSi Posted January 7, 2008 Author Posted January 7, 2008 I told you I was from Barcelona.... Ta for info - I now understand - maybe PCs will catch up one day :-) regards Simon
FN-GM Posted January 7, 2008 Posted January 7, 2008 If she has a Video camera with a firewire port she can use that as a webcam. How old is the machine? I have a webcam that cost £8 ish that apparently works with the mac. I I purchased it from eBay, you should take a look. Z
SimpleSi Posted January 8, 2008 Author Posted January 8, 2008 I'll suggest trying the Firewire route. Looking on t'internet - it looks a bit geek-ish to try to get a non-apple webcam working on a Mac. My friend's friend lives in Paris so its it a bit far to pop round for the night to sort it out regards Simon
mac_shinobi Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 If you look on the mac site there should be some logitech ones that work with macs. http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukBusiness.woa/91354045/wa/PSLID?mco=7E4EB91E&nplm=TN217&wosid=C91qTLsLYd8U3NGwmcN134avpXM http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukBusiness.woa/91354045/wa/PSLID?mco=7E4F2D7D&nplm=TL353&wosid=C91qTLsLYd8U3NGwmcN134avpXM Hopefully those links work, ones a usb logitech and the other is a firewire one. Depends on how much she wants to spend I guess.
HodgeHi Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 If its just for video chat then you may be able to use macam with any USB compatible webcam. I have installed this software on a mac mini using a logitech webcam (can't remember which one it was) and can see it it Photo Booth. Can't use the filters though but am not sure if this is because the app was copied from a different machine onto the mini. Photo Booth doesn't really come with it. Macam
DalekSec Posted January 22, 2024 Posted January 22, 2024 Whos got 16 year necro down for todays bingo card? 1
SanchoPe Posted January 22, 2024 Posted January 22, 2024 (edited) If its just for video chat then you may be able to use macam with any USB compatible webcam. I have installed this software on a mac mini using a logitech webcam (can't remember which one it was) and can see it it Photo Booth. Can't use the filters though but am not sure if this is because the app was copied from a different machine onto the mini. Photo Booth doesn't really come with it. Nowadays, all Macs have built-in cameras. I'm almost sure that there were cameras in those days too. Will need to check. You can read how to open camera on mac, I once sent this article https://setapp.com/how-to/open-camera-on-mac to my sister. Everything is written in detail, there should be no questions left. Although if something is not clear, write to me. Macam Previously there were interesting approaches to this. Now, thank God, everything has changed. Edited January 22, 2024 by SanchoPe
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now