dean41 Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 Hi, We are currently in the process of installing a Paxton Net2 system which i'm told requires IPv6 and wont work on IPv4. Thought it would just be as simple as enabling IPv6 on the HP core switch and and setting up a new DHCP scope. After doing this the units still dont want to talk to each other. Have i missed anything out when setting up IPv6?? Cheers
Michael Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 Interesting - I have one of those systems running on IPv4 with no issues. I can't see why any device/system needs IPv6 - IPv6 is only there to address a lack of IP addresses, which I'm speculating you have plenty of?
Steve21 Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 Take it your DNS servers are setup for IPv6? (Pretty sure they need to have it enabled too) Steve
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 As far as I know Paxton net 2 does not require ip6. It runs perfectly on our ip4 network. Who said it needs ip6? If it wasn't Paxton support (who are excellent) I would discuss why!
chris_uk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 Glad I've seen this. We've got a new Paxton system being installed during the summer holiday. I've been told that it will only support IPv6 as well. Interested in the outcome for you /u/dean41
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 Is this net 2 access control or net2 entry (the video phone system). I run net 2 access and have not done anything to enable ip6 though I have seen mention of net 2 entry using ip6 thought I don't remember that from the installation course.
Michael Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 It doesn't make any sense to only support IPv6, but it does make sense to support both. Presumably you want your LAN to remain on IPv4? Despite IPv4 and IPv6 being able to coexist, I've never actually tried it to be honest. Call me old fashioned, but I'd probably want one or the other in a network, or of course create a VLAN especially for the net2 system, which is probably overkill.
chris_uk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 It's a new one that is apparently only being released at the end of next month. I've only just had a meeting from them to say, "We are installing door access units and we will be plugging them into the network..."
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 @Michael vlan for Paxton may well be a good idea from a security perspective, and would allow ip6 If needed. Paxton and cctv on a common vlan would keep the system intergration between the two.
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 @chris_uk interesting, not heard anything on that as yet. General advice though, if it's stuck on its own vlan it can't affect other systems etc.
Michael Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 @Michael vlan for Paxton may well be a good idea from a security perspective, and would allow ip6 If needed. Paxton and cctv on a common vlan would keep the system intergration between the two. I agree which is why I suggested it, however I still find it hard to believe a company as good as Paxton would make a new product IPv6 only (which is how it sounds). Surely even they must realise that a very high percentage of networks are still IPv4 if it's true.
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 It does seem strange to force ip6 for no reason. Sorry I read your post as vlans maybe being overkill. I think we are both agreeing they would be good and forcing ip6 is a strange move!
chris_uk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 @chris_uk interesting, not heard anything on that as yet. General advice though, if it's stuck on its own vlan it can't affect other systems etc. It's going to be going onto a VLAN with the CCTV as it also has an ANPR system that opens the gates if the CCTV picks up the number plate from the database. It's just more work I could do without this summer
CyberNerd Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 We are also getting a paxton door entry system this summer. Guess what: I was also told we needed to support IPV6 ! It was hard to believe, but given a number of us have been told this I suppose it is true. 1
CyberNerd Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 It looks like it is the net2 entry system: http://www.paxton.co.uk/docs/application%20notes/AN1127.pdf presumably they pulled some off the shelf components designed for IP Telephony - where IPV6 would be useful, just not so much on an RFC1918 network. 2
robk Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 I think you may have hit the nail on the head with that one. I did a quick demo install of that system but it was stand alone without routing etc in the middle. Took all of 20mins to get going. I think everything auto detected so maybe that's ip6 driven. 1
psydii Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 If you have a flat network, IPv6 hosts 'just work'. If you've got it vlan'd you should have got IPv6 enabled by now, it's been baked into Windows for 10 years and MAc for a bit longer. *just don't look at my 1200 host IPv4 only network. **turning IPv6 on is on my 'give it a try if I have enough time to roll it back before results day' list for the summer. So this won't happen before next summer at the earliest. Though Direct Access might force me to get started sooner. 1
IanT Posted July 20, 2015 Posted July 20, 2015 I've installed a few Paxton Net2 systems............never used IPv6 or heard its a requirement for there system. If you are unsure give the Paxton support guys a call, they know there stuff! 1
dean41 Posted July 23, 2015 Author Posted July 23, 2015 We are also getting a paxton door entry system this summer. Guess what: I was also told we needed to support IPV6 ! It was hard to believe, but given a number of us have been told this I suppose it is true. Glad I've seen this. We've got a new Paxton system being installed during the summer holiday. I've been told that it will only support IPv6 as well. Interested in the outcome for you /u/dean41 It's on the NET 2 entry system which requires IPV6. Ie the the handset and intercom system. If your just going for the door controllers you should be fine on IPV4.
dean41 Posted July 23, 2015 Author Posted July 23, 2015 We are also getting a paxton door entry system this summer. Guess what: I was also told we needed to support IPV6 ! It was hard to believe, but given a number of us have been told this I suppose it is It's on the NET 2 entry system which requires IPV6. Ie the the handset and intercom system. If your just going for the door controllers you should be fine on IPV4.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now