IT_Man_Dan Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Good morning all, I wonder if you can shed any light on an issue I'm currently experiencing?! Basically whenever a user (including someone with domain admin rights) logs onto the domain and tries to download anything large from the internet the file downloading often fails at random points during the download in both Chrome or IE. I know that it must be some network settings causing the issue because If I login locally to a computer as administrator the download succeeds. Could this be GPO's causing the issue? If not what else could cause this. We don't use an internet proxy here. Thanks in advance. 1
Oaktech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Interesting... I have this too, I assumed it was something to do with SWGFL, but it might not be...
GRitchie Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 Good morning all, I wonder if you can shed any light on an issue I'm currently experiencing?! Basically whenever a user (including someone with domain admin rights) logs onto the domain and tries to download anything large from the internet the file downloading often fails at random points during the download in both Chrome or IE. I know that it must be some network settings causing the issue because If I login locally to a computer as administrator the download succeeds. Could this be GPO's causing the issue? If not what else could cause this. We don't use an internet proxy here. Thanks in advance. Could you take one of the affected machines out of the OU with the GPO's and then try again? That way you're clearing the GPO's from it. Then, if it still does it, maybe it's a USER GPO?
Steve21 Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 How large/long is the download? If it's something silly like downloading to shared area could even be mappings being deleted/updated if you have them set to do. Does it still cut it off if you download it to a local drive but with domain user? Steve
Oaktech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 How large/long is the download? If it's something silly like downloading to shared area could even be mappings being deleted/updated if you have them set to do. Does it still cut it off if you download it to a local drive but with domain user? Steve In my case it's anything greater than about 200mb, most things cut off between 250 and 350mb. I'm downloading to a local drive. My machine does not get the same policies as everyone else, so unless the setting is in our default domain policy I'm not sure what the issue is!
IT_Man_Dan Posted June 24, 2015 Author Posted June 24, 2015 I'm in the same boat as above although as far as I know it affects any machine when logged on as domain user. This occurs when downloading to a local drive and network area.
IT_Man_Dan Posted June 24, 2015 Author Posted June 24, 2015 I can confirm it can't just be the LEA internet connection as we are on our own internet provision.
Boredguy Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 We've found that in the past when downloading ISO's from the MS VLC, we had to disable Impero on our station otherwise the download would fail part way through. Turning Impero off meant the file downloads happily 100% of the time. 1
Oaktech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 We've found that in the past when downloading ISO's from the MS VLC, we had to disable Impero on our station otherwise the download would fail part way through. Turning Impero off meant the file downloads happily 100% of the time. We might have a winner here... We'll know in 15min 12 sec or less.
Oaktech Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 We've found that in the past when downloading ISO's from the MS VLC, we had to disable Impero on our station otherwise the download would fail part way through. Turning Impero off meant the file downloads happily 100% of the time. We have a winner... With impero running, a 3gb windows ISO fails 3 times at 287mb, 326mb and 359mb. Stop Impero services and it downloads first time, restart them and it fails twice at 360mb and 311mb. @russdev any ideas?
Boredguy Posted June 24, 2015 Posted June 24, 2015 We have a winner... With impero running, a 3gb windows ISO fails 3 times at 287mb, 326mb and 359mb. Stop Impero services and it downloads first time, restart them and it fails twice at 360mb and 311mb. @russdev any ideas? *bows* We reported it 2 years ago, nothing changed since then... not tried it with the latest version yet.....
russdev Posted June 25, 2015 Posted June 25, 2015 Have you got using Impero proxy on if so then if turn that off use the various browser extensions then shouldn't have this issue this.. Let me know if you do.. Russ
IT_Man_Dan Posted June 25, 2015 Author Posted June 25, 2015 Sorry for late replies. Ahh that could be it as we use Impero. @russdev So I just go into group settings and tick the box 'use browser extensions for web filtering (disable impero proxy) ?? Will this still all filter correctly in chrome etc (block sties in ban list) and is there any other settings that need changing? Thanks
russdev Posted June 25, 2015 Posted June 25, 2015 Sorry for late replies. Ahh that could be it as we use Impero. @russdev So I just go into group settings and tick the box 'use browser extensions for web filtering (disable impero proxy) ?? Will this still all filter correctly in chrome etc (block sties in ban list) and is there any other settings that need changing? Thanks As long as you have extensions installed into browser (Firefox, chrome, opera and safari for OSX ) it should work ok.. Russ
IT_Man_Dan Posted June 25, 2015 Author Posted June 25, 2015 Sorry for the dumb question but where do I download the impero browser extensions from please @russdev ?
Oaktech Posted June 25, 2015 Posted June 25, 2015 Sorry for the dumb question but where do I download the impero browser extensions from please @russdev ? Oh thank god it's not just me who went "whut browza 'stenshuns"
IT_Man_Dan Posted June 25, 2015 Author Posted June 25, 2015 @Oaktech I've found them in the impero knowledgebase, see below for details. Impero Browser Extensions Impero supports the use of browser extensions that allow for web logging and filtering on all major browsers. See below for details on each available extensions: Internet Explorer The IE add-on for Impero web filtering is called "ImperoV3BHO.BHO". This is installed automatically when the Impero Client is installed to a machine, and can be force enabled via Group Policy. Google Chrome The extension for Google Chrome can be downloaded from this link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/impero-education-pro/gblkchompccdlgleecnffhlefbhejhhb This extension can be force installed and enabled through Group Policy. Mozilla Firefox The extension for Mozilla Firefox can be downloaded from this link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/impero-education-pro/ Safari The extension for Safari can be downloaded from this link: https://www.imperosoftware.co.uk/extensions/safari/data/impero_safari_extension.safariextz Opera The extension for Opera can be downloaded from this link: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/impero-education-pro/ 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now