Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We currently use Veeam to backup the C: drive of our student and staff file servers and DPM to backup the student and staff files on the E drives of the VM and i wondered if anyone else take this approach or if anyone uses Veeam to backup the whole lot every day?

 

If i can, i want to move away from DPM and just utilize Veeam, especially now Veeam have released Veeam endpoint backup (which would backup my physical DC)

 

Thanks

Posted
I'm using Veeam to back up 20 virtual servers including all volumes on those servers, so just under 4TB of user files and WDS images. I have a 8.5TB NAS that these are backing up to and I'm only using 5TB. Once the initial full backups have been completed it only takes a couple of hours overnight to take the incrementals and although Veeam is meant for disaster recovery I do use it for file recovery too.
Posted
I'm using Veeam to back up 20 virtual servers including all volumes on those servers, so just under 4TB of user files and WDS images. I have a 8.5TB NAS that these are backing up to and I'm only using 5TB. Once the initial full backups have been completed it only takes a couple of hours overnight to take the incrementals and although Veeam is meant for disaster recovery I do use it for file recovery too.

 

And this is for your student and staff files also?

Posted
Yep use veeam to backup the whole lot, full on saturday, reverse incrimental every evening - including the DCs which are virtual. Veeam does such a good job that I don't see the need to "downgrade" to DPM?
Posted
How many days worth of backups do you keep for the file server data? currently we keep 30 days worth on DPM but dont know if thats a bit over kill!
Posted (edited)

We have Veeam set to backup all the datastores on the SAN in our place. 95 VM's and going up slower than before. The datastores have both OS and where applicable additional data volumes for each VM.

 

Retention period 28 days and uses approx 30TB storage on the Veeam server with Incrementals, a synthetic full and an active full each datastore, most datastores are 2TB.

Edited by Davit2005

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...