Michael Posted April 21, 2015 Author Posted April 21, 2015 Glad it's not just me. I've found an issue today (a new deployment) that Policy Central 6 cannot detect the version of Java installed, despite Java 8 Update 45 installed. I found this out through the event logs on the local machine. New version, different problems, again wasting my time.
Trojan Posted April 21, 2015 Posted April 21, 2015 I'm now removing all Java, including the GPO deployed Update 45, to then reinstall the aforementioned update 45 in the hope that this will let the PCE client install. It's such a waste of time.
Trojan Posted April 24, 2015 Posted April 24, 2015 @Michael Any ideas on how to create a dynamic collection in PDQ to display any computers that don't have PCE installed on them. I have tried everything I can think of but can't get it to filter them down properly. Thanks.
Michael Posted April 27, 2015 Author Posted April 27, 2015 Good question - leave it with me and I'll see what I can do. Link2ICT have confirmed other schools have reported the same issue, so I suspect there will be a new PCE build out soon to fix this issue.
Michael Posted April 27, 2015 Author Posted April 27, 2015 Could you give me the name/path of Policy Central 6 on both a 32Bit an 64Bit client, along with the .exe itself (if different to 5). I don't have any active 6 installs as yet.
Trojan Posted April 27, 2015 Posted April 27, 2015 PDQ reports the names as: Policy Central Enterprise Client (32-bit) Bundle Policy Central Enterprise Client (64-bit) Bundle Policy Central Enterprise Client (32-bit) Installer Policy Central Enterprise Client (64-bit) Installer The Publisher is: Future Digital I believe the paths are: C:\Program Files\Future Digital\PCEClient.exe C:\Program Files\Future Digital\PCEClient32.exe Is that what is needed? Thanks.
Michael Posted April 27, 2015 Author Posted April 27, 2015 What version is the client listed as in Programs and Features? For example, with Policy Central 5, the client is listed as version: 1.00.0000 for some reason?
Trojan Posted April 27, 2015 Posted April 27, 2015 v6 Lists the proper version it seems, i.e. 6.2.3.22
Trojan Posted April 28, 2015 Posted April 28, 2015 Thanks for those, but is there any way to determine which machines don't have any version of policy central installed at all? Thanks.
Michael Posted April 28, 2015 Author Posted April 28, 2015 Not really - essentially the XML file is reading the list of applications installed in Programs and Features. Devices not on the list don't have the client installed. 1
Trojan Posted April 28, 2015 Posted April 28, 2015 Thanks, I have been trying to find a way to check for the absence of an application, not cracked it so far.
Trojan Posted April 29, 2015 Posted April 29, 2015 A PDQ Collection to determine clients that don't have any version of PCE installed: Computer ComputerId All Computer NeverScanned !IsTrue NotAny Application Name Contains Policy Central BasicReportDefinition 2015-04-29T14:30:18.0000000+01:00 2015-04-29T14:32:05.0000000+01:00 Policy Central Not Installed Policy Central Not Installed DynamicCollection 1
Michael Posted May 21, 2015 Author Posted May 21, 2015 I'm now removing all Java, including the GPO deployed Update 45, to then reinstall the aforementioned update 45 in the hope that this will let the PCE client install. It's such a waste of time. I've been advised by Link2ICT to uninstall and re-install Java 8 Update 45 which makes no difference. Are you still experiencing the same issues your end?
Trojan Posted May 21, 2015 Posted May 21, 2015 @Michael I am experiencing the same difficulties and have indeed had to remove Java 8u45 again (for the 2nd time at the direction of Link2ICT) and this time I'm also running a script that allegedly nukes all Java installed versions and mops up any stray files. I'm letting that run for at least a week to try and catch all workstations before I try to redeploy.. I have never known anything like it.. The requirements for Java is insanity and has caused me to look at alternative software to be honest. Even if I do get PCE to deploy properly it's dependency on Java for me is a huge issue.. What if Java is subsequently uninstalled - I believe it renders PCE inoperable ? So far I've wasted weeks on this to be so far left with a mongrel monitoring system that's buggy at best and not fit for purpose at worst. - It's just not good enough and I have told Link2ICT so...
Michael Posted May 21, 2015 Author Posted May 21, 2015 Thanks - glad it's not just me. Sometimes I'm led to believe I'm the only one with the issue. I appreciate it's not directly a Link2ICT issue, but seeing as they do proactively promote and sell it, it is very much in their hands to get the issue resolved by communicating with developers. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now